Drivers of disable accessible vehicles? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drivers of disable accessible vehicles?

Options
Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
I was a driver but have recently become wheelchair bound. I miss driving and was looking into ways I can become more independent and stumbled across disable accessible vehicles that I could drive in my electric wheelchair. I was just looking to see if I could find anyone who drives and one of these and what their experiences of t have been?

Comments

• Rifi7
    Options
    Has anyone got a Wheelchair accessible vehicle that they drive? I’m used to be a driver but once I lost the use of legs I am now in a electric wheelchair. I miss driving but wondered how other people have found using a wheelchair accessible vehicle? 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    this is something I do think about. I have a WAV but have drivers and I sit in the back in my wheelchair.

Every outing has to be planned and scheduled...there`s so spontinaity of going anywhere.

It`s a bind.

These drive from wheelchair cars are unbelievably expensive new, but can be bought used for around 9k+

I would love one but family say they worry to much if I went out alone.

Let us know if you get one
    Pollsx
  • Rifi7
    Options
    Hi Pollyanna,
    I have had problems posting out this discussion so you may see it twice.
    Since losing the use of legs I have found it frustrating relying on others to get me out and about so was looking at ways to help me get my independency back. I don’t see why it won’t work but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of using one. 
    I think it would make a world of difference for me to just be able to get in the car and go whether I need to go without relying on anyone. Also I won’t feel so isolated in the winter. 
    Let’s see how I get on but I will definitely let you know polly.

• soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Options
    I don’t have one but I do drive one for someone else - it helps them no end and if you can get one I would recommend it 

Brightness