Pension credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension credit

chhaya
chhaya Community member Posts: 1 Listener
my husband has been ill for the past year and now a bit disabled. He was 65 in march 02.03.20 and was wanting yo know if he can apply for pension credit as hes medically been advised not to work

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

To apply for pension credit you must be state pension age and above. As you are a couple the new rules that came out lat year mean that unless your both of state pension age and above then he won't be able to apply for pension credit. Pension credit is a means tested benefit and therefore you would need to claim as a couple.

May i ask what benefits he or you both are currently claiming at the moment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, Poppy has answered your question but maybe as she suggested there may be other benefits you would be entitled to claim based on your circumstances. Poppy is the person to advise but will need you to give her more information to be able to advise.
  • poppy123456
    Eek. The answers so far are incomplete to say the least. 

To be honest, it would have helped if the person had come back to answer the questions i asked. As the questions weren't answered then no further help could have been given and as the question was posted about 2 weeks ago, they may not come back.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Didn't the rules change for mixed aged couples claiming PC in May 2019? Unless they weren't already claiming it before a certain date?
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @chhaya -  how are you getting on ? Were you able to start any processes with pension credit ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.