Pip Tribunal tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Tribunal tomorrow

nikix29
nikix29 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi my tribunal is tomorrow and am really scared I haven’t slept for a few days and can’t stop worrying am debating wether to go or not anyone have any experience 

Comments

• Galarboy
    Galarboy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    You need to phone the tribunals service first thing in the morning to make sure it’s still going ahead, you don’t want to travel there just to have them tell you it’s been cancelled...
  • nikix29
    I was wondering wether it would be cancelled due to Coronavirus but wouldn’t they contact me to let me know? 
  • neuromum4
    neuromum4 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    edited March 2020
    It will be ok, I am waiting for mine. The advice given to me is just try to answer all the questions. Your aim is for them to know what you go through everyday.
    Is someone going with you?
    I started to write a diary about my struggles.
    All the best
    Neuro
  • nikix29
    I’ve wrote a diary but didn’t send it in I don’t know wether they will accept it tomorrow as I’ve had a lot going on with my child so my head is everywhere atm my mum is coming with me am just so nervous 
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    edited March 2020
    Do go, as your verbal evidence will help the tribunal decide if the DWP made the correct decision or not.
    In the majority of cases the tribunal (and after listening to the claimant) panel decide the DWP decision was wrong, and an award should be given.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilydugan/most-dwp-benefits-cases-which-reach-court-are-based-on-bad

In my experience the panels are very considerate and do want to hear about your day - to day life. 
    Remember they are not there to judge you - their job is to scrutinise the DWP decision. It is fairly informal, and they try to be as friendly as they can. They know people will be nervous, so they do try to put claimants at ease in order to get the information they need to make the right decision. Please read this, it may set your mind at ease:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/your-hearing/

Take you diary with you and use it as an aide-memoire when you are telling them about your days, and the help you need. Answer their questions as fully as you can. Explain the difficulties you have.

It's your chance to get the right decision for you.     

Good luck.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
  • nikix29
    Just an update I went along was the worst experience of my life ended up throwing up and leaving early I was 2 points short of standard Care was awarded low rate mobility but I won’t be renewing it because no amount of money is worth feeling as ill as I did today x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    @nikix29, I'm so sorry the experience was so bad for you and that it's put you off renewing in future. Was it anything in particular that happened?
    Do you have any support with you this evening? See if you can find a way to take your mind off it and be kind to yourself. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • nikix29
    The doctor was asking me why I don’t have social services involved as I have children and my mental health is bad due to my physical health my gp knows how I feel and said she would never report me as my children are always clean and looked after so it made me feel like **** I worry about everything so now I’ll be worrying thinking am going to be reported to social services my mother is staying with me tonight 
  • neuromum4
    Hi nikix29,
    How awful, I'm sorry you were made to feel that way.
    please try to not worry too much.
    Hearing social services can scare anyone.

You are clearly a good mother.
    Do you think they brought this up to get you some support? 

It's not something many would welcome but children social care and adult care can support.

I was terrified about social services too, they did things like referral to young carers for my children and got adult social care to do an assessment  to support me.

They had no concerns about my parenting they just wanted me to know that they are there if I need help.

They wrote supporting letters spoke to the school ( one of my children were turning up to school at 11am everyday)
    They managed to get someone to help with school run and get the children priority to school clubs etc

If it's something you don't want that fair enough.

I thought they were thinking I was a bad single mum.

A year later I am so grateful and the services are there to support people like us.
    My children were not on any child protection list or anything like that.

I am glad your mum is with you and just know everything will be ok.

Me xx
  • nikix29
    I really don’t know why they brought it up as I have a lot of support from my family and wouldn’t like any involvement from social services.. when I left the room as I was sick they asked my mother if I was a good mum which has just made me feel like they thought I’m not a good mum because of my problems and it’s none of there business I was there about my problems nothing to do with my children x
  • neuromum4
    That's really bad, asking your mum that behind your back.
    I can now understand why you feel this way.

Your mum must have been shocked.
    Will you be making a complaint? 

Please try to have a relaxed as possible evening.
    Take care x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.