Self Isolation and Carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self Isolation and Carers

Eva_Marie33
Eva_Marie33 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
We have been told we should self isolate for 12 weeks due to health issues, but havent really been giving much as far as guidance on how to go about doing it.  My husband is a Tetraplegic and has very low lung capacity as well as some other health issues.  I have done his care myself until about a year ago when I hurt my back and had to have carers come in to help with his morning routine.  I find myself having to make a decision now on what self isolation means for us.  Can we continue to have the carers come in the mornings or should I do his care myself for the next 12 weeks.  I am super concerned that allowing carers to come in isn't really self isolating and puts him at risk of pnemonia which is the biggest killer of Quadraplegics.  Helppppp...What are others doing in regards to isolating for health issues and carers?  
Tagged:

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Eva_Marie33. I was talking about this earlier today with a friend from work. He has a young son with Down Syndrome and the family have set up a hand sanitizer station at the front door to their property now. I think that it is a good idea.
    I myself have been frequently washing my hands. My son has open defect spina bifida and is a full time wheelchair user. Whenever we are in public, I squirt a drop of it onto his hands. Same for my daughter. I see posters everywhere in town now. I say continue for now. But it is up to you to decide really. What do you want to do? If you wish to self isolate make sure to have lots of reading material etc at hand. You may also wish to take up a new hobby. Now is the time to do so. 
    My son is still too young for carers. We were hoping to have him participate in a countywide play scheme for disabled kids once a week but I feel that is out of the question for now. We will reconsider that option later on this year however. Thankfully he has no therapists anymore. They stopped coming just before all this started. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Eva_Marie33 and a warm welcome to the community.

I think this is a personal choice for most people. It wouldn't be unreasonable to request anyone coming into your home to follow stricter hygiene measures. All carers should also be following the government guidance, so shouldn't come to your home if they're at risk. 
    I've also found the following advice on Carersuk which may help you decide.

Care workers and other home help

If you have paid care workers, cleaners or other helpers coming into the home of the person you care for:

• Ensure that they are following stringent hygiene and infection control measures as set out by the NHS. If they are employed through an agency and you have any doubts, contact the agency to ask them about what protective measures they are taking.

• Talk to the person you care for about the hygiene and infection control measures they should expect someone coming into their home to follow. They should not be afraid to insist that these are followed.

• If possible, ensure soap is made readily available and towels are frequently changed.

• As well as following the steps above, if they are employed by an agency:

• speak to the agency about their contingency plans and how they plan to respond if any of their staff are affected
      • and if the care worker or other helper shows symptoms of coronavirus, do inform the agency. They will need to carry out a risk assessment and take steps to protect staff, their families and other clients from the virus. The agency should work with you to ensure that the person you care for is also safe.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    My daughters support worker is also a carer for someone with severe physical disabilities to the extent that this person can't get out of bed, wash etc without help/support. He's also in the "at risk group"  She told me yesterday that the team that care for him are all waiting for further instructions as to what happens next. I think in your case you should be speaking to the team of carers that help care for him.

Take care and stay safe!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Eva_Marie33. I was talking about this earlier today with a friend from work. He has a young son with Down Syndrome and the family have set up a hand sanitizer station at the front door to their property now. I think that it is a good idea.
    I myself have been frequently washing my hands. My son has open defect spina bifida and is a full time wheelchair user. Whenever we are in public, I squirt a drop of it onto his hands. Same for my daughter. I see posters everywhere in town now. I say continue for now. But it is up to you to decide really. What do you want to do? If you wish to self isolate make sure to have lots of reading material etc at hand. You may also wish to take up a new hobby. Now is the time to do so. 
    My son is still too young for carers. We were hoping to have him participate in a countywide play scheme for disabled kids once a week but I feel that is out of the question for now. We will reconsider that option later on this year however. Thankfully he has no therapists anymore. They stopped coming just before all this started. 

Hi, how is the new baby doing...Francesca isn't she called? Have her operations begun?

Sending love xx
  • Eva_Marie33
    Eva_Marie33 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks guys for responding.  It is a relief to know that I am not the only one worried and thinking about this.  My concern isn't that the care team isnt using good hygeine... They do the best they can really.  It is more that they may be infected with the virus and not know it and pass it to my husband.  I had to go out today to pick up some medications and food and I have been stressed and worried since returning home that I also may have been infected with the virus and brought it home to pass on to him.  I think for us .. the only way we will have peace of mind is to lock down totally for a few weeks.  If nobodys coming in...the virus will not get in either.  I just know he will not survive pnemonia and I'm not willing to risk it.  Please all of you do take care of yourselves and your loved ones for the next few months.  Again, thanks so much for the responses
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks guys for responding.  It is a relief to know that I am not the only one worried and thinking about this.  My concern isn't that the care team isnt using good hygeine... They do the best they can really.  It is more that they may be infected with the virus and not know it and pass it to my husband.  I had to go out today to pick up some medications and food and I have been stressed and worried since returning home that I also may have been infected with the virus and brought it home to pass on to him.  I think for us .. the only way we will have peace of mind is to lock down totally for a few weeks.  If nobodys coming in...the virus will not get in either.  I just know he will not survive pnemonia and I'm not willing to risk it.  Please all of you do take care of yourselves and your loved ones for the next few months.  Again, thanks so much for the responses

Hi, can you manage all your hubby`s care by yourself? What if you hurt your back again?
    I`m still having my carers come in.

My hubby is still going out, so he could bring it in for me.

We all have to make whichever decision feels right for us.
    xxx

Brightness