Remote babysitting ideas — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remote babysitting ideas

Options
laura222
laura222 Community member Posts: 84 Pioneering
Hello!

As schools have started closing in England there's a whole lot of pressure on parents to work from home, school from home and just BE at home with their kids all day. That's lots of pressure for kids too!

I don't have any kids myself, but want to be able to support the parents I know, and the delightful kiddos that are feeling confusion/excitement/anxiety right now.

Since I'm in a high-risk group and started self-isolation a while ago (I think we're on day 7...) I've been searching for ways to help people out in a 'no-contact', remote way.

I've been offering 'virtual sit with your kid' sessions to the parents I know, where I'm present on video chat while their kid is playing a game, drawing a picture, watching TV etc. But I also found this great article about games and activities to do with kids via video chat: https://adventuresinnanaland.com/fun-games-to-play-over-skype/ that I thought might be handy for other people too.

Does anyone have any other ideas of things that I could do to keep kids engaged and give parents a little bit of time off?
Tagged:

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    What a great initiative laura.  Can you spread it round on mumsnet  or something so others can offer the same?

Only this morning,  there was a news item on playcentre staff being laid off. They would be perfectly suited to assist  children whose mums need to concentrate on working from home. I guess they are accustomed to getting several  children to draw, or stand on one leg, or whatever. 
  • laura222
    Options
    Great idea @newborn! There must be loads of people who could band together and make some kind of 'virtual school' type thing.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's a great idea @laura222! I saw that Joe Wicks (the Body Coach) is running Live workout sessions for kids via YouTube as "PE Lessons". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6r99N3kXME which might be suitable for some. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is a great idea @laura222!

We are a full time home schooling family. Yesterday my hubby came home with some more art supplies and DVDs too. We also have lots of board games and lots of food as well. I also recently bought two more handy books on fitness and exercise. And we have Netflix which helps. I have downloaded and printed off extra copies of old exam papers I found online in addition. On Sunday instead of going to church we will have our own Bible study class in the hospital via Skype.
    Additionally I have searched for unit studies online and have printed off a list of revision games and educational activities in case the worst occurs. I am considering buying more extra textbooks online from Amazon. I will also continue to pray. Tell me how else do you successfully entertain a sick young baby who has no idea what is going on right now? I have already tried distracting her with silly funny videos and movies. But we are now back at the hospital for a few more tests and assessment (long story- this baby is hard work!) as she could not keep her numbers up. I hooked her up to her machine yesterday evening and watched as it alarmed and beeped constantly. So we returned. 
  • laura222
    Options
    Hi @April2018mom

Wow! You sound like pros at this!

It must be tough to keep your baby entertained, especially with the situation. I don't know what you've tried or whether it's age appropriate but do you think she would enjoy sensory play bags? The babies I know always just love things that look and feel a bit different! https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/77591/20-sensory-bags-to-make My goddaughter always enjoyed looking through coloured plastic sheets or anything that changed the way the world looked.
  • April2018mom
    Options
    Thanks @laura222!

I’m going to try to catch up on my reading. I know we are in the hospital and the circumstances are not ideal but there is nothing else to do. Plus this is one of my favourite hobbies. I will also attempt to finish off my knitting project too. I found it in my bag last night after we were admitted. What other activities would you recommend? I need some new ideas. I have not got my laptop so DVDs are out of the question. 
  • laura222
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Ooh nice @April2018mom! What are you knitting?

I've been spending a lot of my time indoors drawing and making art. Is this something you could do with your daughter? Is she able to make a mark and then you could turn it into a funny character? Or maybe she would just enjoy seeing you draw things for her. I can't say that my drawings are very sophisticated but my nephew always enjoys seeing the end product. Especially if it's something a bit silly!
  • April2018mom
    Options
    For now I will draw for her. She is a bit too little for that yet. Thanks for the suggestions however! 

Brightness