Family member coming to stay for the weekend — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Family member coming to stay for the weekend

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2020 in Coffee lounge
Really nervous as this person can get nasty with my parents, which I find hard to deal with, but today they are having a bad day and when that happens they can become borderline abusive. Positively, the person knows their moods really affect me and they don’t direct them at me, which I am grateful for. However this person makes an atmosphere in the house that I find really, really difficult to deal with. 

Looks like I will be self isolating in my bedroom for much of the weekend, but for a different reason to most people.

Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Oh dear sorry to hear that I grew up in similar situation. So I know how stressful it can be just knowing that they can kick off at any moment. I hope it goes better for you. 
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @66Mustang Sorry you are going through this. Remember you are not alone and there are places to reach out to like the Samaritans and other professionals if you need to talk. Why not have a look at our Community Support Group and get some encouragement and reassurance outside the home. You may also benefit from reaching out to one of our mental health advisors for tips and advice. Remember you are not alone.

• 66Mustang
    Thank you for the kind messages. Sorry to hear you grew up in that situation Firefly.

Yes it is like walking on egg shells as the person can kick off at any time. Ironically they are a very sensitive person so can get set off very easily. Personally I am good at not saying the “wrong” thing to set them off but my parents quite rightly like to stick up for themselves and it causes friction.

Don't get me wrong they are not a bad person or anything like that they just have I believe some anger and respect issues.

Thanks for the links, I don’t think it is bad enough to warrant a call to any professionals but I will bear them in mind.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Yes some people are just like that.. Not a good situation when you have to watch what you say..

Take care and hopefully it goes OK x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How did the weekend go @66Mustang?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for asking @Adrian_Scope, in the end they did not come over so it was all fine!

Brightness