£1000 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

£1000

dannyUK76
dannyUK76 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
Can someone please tel me 
What this means u herd thr announcement earlier but don't understand what it means sorry if I sound stupid but my medication as made my brain slow. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hi,

It means there will be extra money each month for 12 months for UC BUT this is all anyone knows at the moment, until they tell us more information i'm afraid i can't tell you. I don't know if it's just for working people that are unable to work because of Covid 19, or whether it's for everyone claiming UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited March 2020
    Hi @dannyUK76. The information page they’ve updated says it’s for all new and existing claims.

Even though it applies from 6th April, you won’t see the increase until 12th May at the earliest as the first people that will see the increase are those with assessment periods starting on 6th April.

Hopefully they’ll release some more detailed guidance for it soon but for now this is what it says:

Changes to how much you’ll get:

From 6 April the government is increasing the standard allowance in Universal Credit and the basic element in Working Tax Credit for one year. Both will increase by £20 per week on top of planned annual uprating. This will apply to all new and existing Universal Credit claimants and to existing Working Tax Credit claimants.

This means that for a single Universal Credit claimant (aged 25 or over), the standard allowance will increase from £317.82 to £409.89 per month.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    And yet nothing for those on ESA and PIP!
    Yet again the government ignores our needs.
    We have already had to spend more than usual as shopping has meant buying what i available and not shopping on a budget!
  • dannyUK76
    I'm being stopped £149 a month for advances I understand I have to pay them but I've asked them to be suspended untill the panic buying stops as at the moment I only get £19 a week and I'm proper struggling 
  • poppy123456
    In another recent thread of yours you said you were claiming ESA, have you recently changed to UC or do you still claim the ESA?

If it is UC that you're claiming, do you claim as a single person or with a partner as a couple?

If you're claiming with a partner does that partner claim carers allowance for looking after you? I see in another thread you were asking about carers allowance too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dannyUK76
    I get esa and universal credit think it's for 1 year then it will be all uc. 
  • dannyUK76
    Yes my partner gets CA and I get pip along with esa and uc think the esa is income related. 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2020
    If you're in the support group your ESA will be contributions based and this isn't part of UC but it's deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement. It won't ever be part of UC.

It's not clear whether you're living with your partner but if you are then your partner needs to made sure that the carers element is being added to your claim, this is an extra £160.20 per month.

Also if you're in the support group for ESA make sure that the LCWRA element is being added to your UC as this is an extra £336 per month.
  • bishop1967
    bishop1967 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Will the limited capability work payment be increased also ? 
  • poppy123456
    Only the standard allowance is being increased.
  • dannyUK76
    Yes we live tougher and get the above she gets 64 a week they stop that from uc along with my esa I get so will the standard couple rate for over 25 go up for us. 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2020
    Your standard couples rate will increase by £20 per week for a period of 1 year. No other elements will increase and your ESA will stay the same.

You need to check your journal to see exactly what elements you're receiving and make sure they are adding the carers element.
  • littlemouse13
    littlemouse13 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if this £1000 for the next 12 months would also apply to those on ESA and JSA who hadn't yet migrated to UC. Does anyone know if ESA claimants will get extra financial support? I cant find any info on it really other that the announcement that was made. Thanks!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    At the moment it is only for UC claimants as above, they may or may not extend that to other benefits, but it would seem unlikely
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.