'Isn't it ironic' Alanis Morrisette song. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

'Isn't it ironic' Alanis Morrisette song.

Angie321
Angie321 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi all, I hope everyone is keeping safe in our current climate.
I'm not looking for answers here I just wanted to share my own personal experiences regarding the current coronavirus situation hence the discussion title referring to her song 'Ironic'
I have stage 4 renal cancer  (I have posted here before) I was awarded PIP enchanced rate for both segments  one month ago. I'm sooooo relieved.
Last Monday my consultant advised me that my cancer is responding to immunotherapy, with the lung mets gone, the tumors in my adrenal glands showing signs of dying off, the tumor in my  kidney shrinking and the bone tumors haven't spread, oh happy day's and now with no more money worries, far less stress. With situation changing due to the coronavirus, I now have self isolate (sensible approach) but my treatment is now on hold. As I say, I'm not looking for answers or anything else but .....Isn't it ironic!!!!! You just couldn't make it up. For those who aren't familiar with the song, here are the lyrics

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought, it figures
Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well, isn't this nice"
And isn't it ironic, don't you think

Well, life has a funny way of

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    I've definitely had a few of my own 'ironic' moments during this situation @Angie321. I hope your consultant is able to keep in touch and work out a suitable plan with you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • laura222
    laura222 Community member Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @Angie321!

That’s such great news about your treatment working. It’s the happy news that I needed this morning! So thanks for sharing.

The ironic moments in this situation are rife! Last week I finally got a hoist that means I can get my powerchair into my car so I can now go shopping and go to appointments and run errands on my own. Freedom! Except now... well, you know. I have to laugh! It took me so long to get it sorted and feel like I can finally have independence so the irony of the situation is definitely not lost on me! Haha!

Yes, Alanis, you nailed it!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    For my whole life I've been told avoiding people, crowds and public places; not touching stuff and excessively washing my hands is unnecessary...  Now everyone's doing it, certainly some irony there!! :D

I also left a note in my tribunal application 6 months ago, asking to not have to sit in a waiting room full of people if at all possible...  I don't think anyone wants to be in that situation now!! ;)
  • Angie321
    Angie321 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Ahh Laura I'm so glad you got your hoist and so glad you got the meaning of my message. life really does have a funny way. My treatment   will go ahead, just not as was originally planned but hey, in the scheme of things I , like you will just have to wait. Stay safe, stay positive, enjoy your freedom when it comes and in the meantime mull over the lyrics. Xx
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    For my whole life I've been told avoiding people, crowds and public places; not touching stuff and excessively washing my hands is unnecessary...  Now everyone's doing it, certainly some irony there!! :D

I also left a note in my tribunal application 6 months ago, asking to not have to sit in a waiting room full of people if at all possible...  I don't think anyone wants to be in that situation now!! ;)
    Haha I know how you feel. People are very hypocritical!

I am fortunate in that my contamination OCD is 80% gone now but the habits don’t go away. Pulling my sleeve down and using it to touch door handles, using my elbow to press buttons etc. are still behaviours I do out of habit.

At least we are ahead in that we have had a lot of practise!!
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I had already gone into isolation so I am one step ahead. I have ME and a heart condition and didn't want to risk things getting worse. Especially since it was a virus that caused my ME in the first place! I am still going out to walk my dog but when it is quiet and not many people are about. I usually go out with the dog twice a day so she will be a bit confused for a while seeing as we have been ordered to only go out once a day. I am going to have a problem with not walking her twice seeing as I don't have a garden.

Brightness