Information or advice on PIP decision welcome — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Information or advice on PIP decision welcome

Options
LeeKerr1962
LeeKerr1962 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all I’m hoping someone will be able to calm me down here. I have been receiving PIP for around 6 years. I initially received the enhanced rate for both mobility and daily living but two years ago was reduced to standard for daily living although things were actually worse for me. I was afraid to challenge it so managed as I could. I’ve now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia on top of the Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteoarthritis and Scoliosis to name just a few and so put in a change of circumstances. I’ve had the assessment which took 90 minutes and waiting now for outcome. However I asked for a copy of the assessors notes and I am distraught. Some of the information given is verging on blatant lies, leaving out comments my husband made, made note on how well I looked even though I really felt ill that day and how I was able to walk a certain distance slowly but with ‘fluidity’.
 I have added up the points I could get based on this interview and it means I will again have my benefit reduced. Will the Decision take more notice of this or the medical evidence I included which showed the degeneration in my spine. I am so worried. Any information or advise is welcome. Thanks Leigh

Comments

• Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 268 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @LeeKerr1962 . Welcome to the community.  am so sorry to hear the challenges you are facing at this extremely difficult time and I can understand why you are worried.

Thank you for sharing  expressing yourself. We are here to support and help you.
    You may find this group helpful . Aswell as our free helpline .

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LeeKerr1962 Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read you've had problems with PIP as well as facing additional diagnoses.Unfortunately many of the PIP assessment reports we read about on the forum have 'inaccuracies.'  The important thing about PIP is that it's based on the functional problems you have due to your disabilities rather than any diagnoses (altho you list them in the booklet you initially receive).
    The DWP Decision Maker usually goes with the assessment report altho you'll have to wait for the actual decision letter. If unhappy with your award yo can go for a Mandatory Reconsideration, asking for your award to be looked at again. You have one month from the date of your decision letter to do so, & this is best put in writing.
    For each descriptor that applies in your case, it's a good idea to give a couple of examples of the difficulties you faced (at the time of your assessment) to illustrate the functional problems you encountered. It's not worth mentioning any of the inaccuracies in your report, rather concentrate on where you should have gained points to further your claim.
    Unfortunately only about 18% of Mandatory Reconsiderations are favourable, & if you then go for a Tribunal, the waiting lists are about a year long.
    Please do ask any other questions, & know we will support you the best that we can.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Have you looked for the dots next to the activities/descriptors in the report? If you haven't then you should look for them and use the PIP descriptors online to add up any recommended points in the report. I always find the PIP self test is a good one to use for this https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test

Once you've done that then you'll have some idea what may have been recommended. They usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it. You'll still need to wait for a decision but once it's made if you're not happy you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR)

If you need further help then please do ask.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LeeKerr1962
    LeeKerr1962 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Many thanks to you both for the feed back. I have added up the dots given on the assessment report which gave me 8 for Daily Living and 10 for Mobility. The mobility seemed to have been given as I walked (supported) to the desk to sign in, which I couldn’t do as I can’t bend that far. The assessor was waiting for me at the door so I was called almost immediately. She has added the distance from the main door to the distance from the desk to the assessment room to make it look like I can walk further than I can. Not mentioning that I rested at the desk or how out of breath I was. It seems like all comments are negative, how I smiled at her but not mentioning how upset I got, how I didn’t seem to be in pain but not mentioning that I had to shuffle around because my back was so painful and had to ask my husband to rub the bottom of my back. How I pulled myself up from the seat with my husbands support when really it was my husband pulling me up, not the other way around.  No mention of the anxiety I suffer or how we’ve had to change to a joint bank account as I can’t manage the household bills without getting confused. Apparently I can can manage complex budgeting decisions. Really!!
     I had hoped that I would remain on the same level 8 for Daily Living and 12 for Mobility but I’m not expecting this now. This award was actually until 2021 but I thought I was doing the right thing by letting them know about my change of circumstances. Makes me wish now that I’d kept my mouth shut!
    I will keep you updated. Thanks again both. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.