Am I at risk? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I at risk?

Options
Waynecp73
Waynecp73 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am Wayne and want to know if I am at risk from coronavirus. I have mobility problems and use a wheelchair most of the time and a walking aid
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm afraid because we are not medical professionals then we won't be able to give you any medical advice on whether or not you are in the most at risk group.

GPs are sending 1.5 million letters to the most vulnerable people in the next couple of days, if you're one of them then you will receive a letter.

Other than that, everyone has been advised to avoid social contact.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hi @Waynecp73 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. Whilst we are all at risk of coronovirus if sensible precautions are not taken, if you're under 70, you are not in the 'high risk' category. See: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/  Anyone who is will be contacted by the NHS this week.
    If you possibly can, you could always self-isolate. If not, keep a safe distance from any one, about 2 metres ('social distancing'), & only go out if necessary. Keep up thoroughly good hand washing!

• jacksprat
    jacksprat Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    I have seen [on tv] relatively young people affected with covid-19 struggling to breath in hospital.  Whilst some people may be able to shrug this thing off, I personally don't feel lucky.  The original idea was that everyone outside of vulnerable groups should be expected to get the virus so that they could provide a herd immunity shield for the vulnerable.  This stupid idea has since been dropped.  Hence lockdown.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    Based on telephone information given by Tesco this morning.

They will only allow someone to do the shopping for someone else if they can produce the letter received from the NHS mentioned above. No letter, no double shopping. Otherwise you would have everyone saying that they are shopping for mum or dad etc when they are not hoping to get a bigger shop.

The letter has been based on people that are high risk.

Who's at high risk from coronavirus

Coronavirus can make anyone seriously ill, but there are some people who are at a higher risk.

For example, you may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant
    • are having certain types of cancer treatment
    • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
    • have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
    • have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
    • are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
    • are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
    Up until now anybody and everybody who wanted a delivery had them. The slots will now be given to those with that letter first. There is disability and there is disability with a high risk of death.

Registering with the government is being abused with people saying they are at high risk when they are not.

Because my daughter who normally does our weekly shop for us along with her own was refused because she did not have my letter with her. She was limited to 3 items of anything, including 3 packs of cigs for me, and only and one type of meat. So the supermarket is taking this seriously as they should do. I could have it delivered but prefer for her to do it for us.

If you are not eligible as per the above list you have to find another way of doing your shop and give the slots up to those that really need them.

Brightness