Renewal form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Renewal form

stressedhubby
stressedhubby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I just received the pip renewal form for my wife, it seems very short. Since her last medical she as developed pyoderma gangrenosum which is a very painful rare skin condition, her other problems have got worse and 6th January I managed to get her to the gp (she never leaves the house, mental health issues on top of many physical issues) he sent her straight to the hospital because her heart was going 160 beats per minute they tried to slow it but nothing worked so they said she would have to stay in so she discharged herself and was supposed to go back to gp for tests etc. I have not been able.to.get her back to the gp yet it takes forever to get her to leave the house. Any advice on how to fill the form, whether I should include the above and if anyone as been awarded pip for Pyoderma Gangrenosum? Thanks

Comments

• Tommyb92
    Tommyb92 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Hi @stressedhubby welcome to the forum! Just a thought is your GP surgery able to do a home visit ? It may make it easier for your wife to be in a more comfortable environment 

<code><a href="https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/tombyford</a> <br><a href="https://www.facebook.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/tombyford</a><br>http://www.twitter.com/lgbtdisability

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

The PIP review  form (AR1) is a shortened version of the PIP2 form BUT even though it's shorter, it should still be classed as a new claim and you should fill it in with as much information as possible about how her conditions affect her and then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

You should put all of her conditions down and tell them everything.

Do be aware though that PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. You should send relevant evidence with the form to support her claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. I'd advise you to ask for a home assessment when you fill out the form.

For your wife's medical conditions then i agree about asking for a GP to visit her at home.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @stressedhubby Hello and welcome, Im sorry to hear about your wife's situation, as suggested would she accept a GP home visit I have them as and when required. Good luck with the PIP review and as mentioned give as much detail as possible and mention all current medical conditions
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    HI and welcome,
    You should put all of her conditions down and tell them everything. 
    Do be aware though that PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. You should send relevant evidence with the form to support her claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.
    I agree and must admit that in the past I only described those conditions that I had proof of as well as proof of the difficulties (as detailed as the PIP descriptors). Without that level of evidence the assumption was that I could tell the DWP anything/exaggerate things to gain extra points and not be able to prove any of it.
    Additionally make sure that other descriptors may well apply to you. In particular if you have serious hearing difficulties and are prescribed hearing aids. You can claim 2 points for having those aids but I missed up to another 10 points in other descriptors that on the face of it didn't apply to me but actually did.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stressedhubby, sorry to hear this. I just wanted to check in to see how things were going. :)
    Scope

• stressedhubby
    stressedhubby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone thank you all for the replies, I called Pip line and asked for a new form & extra time so I have to get it back by the 4th april. The problem I have had now is everything going off with the corona virus our doctors is closed I did ask them to send a letter of the latest diagnosis but didn't ask for everything (when I rang them nothing had changed with the corona virus so I was going to go and ask for further evidence but they have since closed) I haven't received the letter yet but am hoping it was posted before they closed. Also since this my wife as bad a fever and cough all the symptoms of flu but obviously because of the corona virus we have started self isolation so will still be in it when the form needs posting I also wanted to post the form recorded so I know it got there ok. The only people we have around to help are in self isolation as well so I am in a mess of What to do I haven't finished the form yet but am going to finish over the next few days. Does anyone know if they expect you to go out from isolation to the post office? When I called them to ask for more time I asked for a new form because I had spilt coffee on the.first one and they said they would send it but I couldn't have extra time as well so its worked out i have a little extra time now I am worried about how I am going to get it to them, I don't drive so would have to walk there.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stressedhubby, sorry to hear your wife isn't very well. If you are self-isolating you are not allowed to go to the post office. You should not be leaving the house for 14 days since your wife started showing symptoms. Here is the government's guidance. I would advice ringing DWP again and explain you are self-isolating. 

Please do let us know how you and your wife get on. :)
    Scope

• skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Whilst a GP letter is useful for diagnosis it’s not critical. If you assert you have a new condition; describe how it was disguised; where; when and by whom that should more than suffice. 
    That isn't normally enough for some. Not having any formal letters from a consultant I did what you suggested for my last F2F (move from DLA to PIP). The report from the assessor went into great pain to say that my issues were not as debilitating as I had described them to be as I was not receiving continuing care from a consultant, only my GP. The stories that I laid out were simply not credible.

Unable to prove that I had the illness all I hoped for was that in the MR they would see sense based on the drugs I was prescribed with. Eventually I did get more points for other issues that took me over the 12 threshold but none of them actually related to the one that was dismissed. Given that history I won't bother wasting my time for the next review in even mentioning them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.