ESA Assesment looming — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Assesment looming

cookie80
cookie80 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
Hi all, I have a ESA assesment in 2 weeks and I'm very nervous. I was calm and now the date is approaching I'm starting to panic. 
The cost of the journey is about £25 each way which is so much. Maximus said i have to have a letter from my Doctor for them to reimburse the taxi fare. I asked my doctor for a letter to say I need to travel by taxi he said it  will cost £50. I had to leave that as the cost would end up the same. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me their experiences of the assesment. Thankyou so much!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I have had WCA and also PIP assessments, which are quite similar. 

Have s good look through the forms you filled in before you go as the assessment is mainly based around what you put on the form and how your condition affects you and your ability tyo do any type of work based on your condtition.

My opinion is the assessment isn't that bad on the face of it most assessors are empathetic on the face of it but bear in mind they are watching everything you do.

I hope it goes well for you and keep us uopdated 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi do you have a friend/relative who can take you?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cookie80
    Thankyou janer1967
  • cookie80
    Woodbine, my Sister is taking me, 
    She helps me a lot
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    HI, this link may help you know what to expect.

Also before the assessment, take a look at the form that you filled in ( a copy should have been kept) part of the assessment will be to verify what you wrote in the form. As well as any additional information needed on the day.

Personally, i've never had a bad assessment and all the HCP's that i've seen in the past have been very friendly and extremely helpful. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    cookie80 said:
    Woodbine, my Sister is taking me, 
    She helps me a lot
    if you go by car you can claim so much per mile
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cookie80
    Woodbine we will be going by taxi as neither of us drives. Thankyou anyway
  • cookie80
    Hi, just thought I'd give an update.
    I had the assesment today. The assesor was a Doctor and was actually really kind. I'm not assuming that I have been successful in my claim but the fact that she was kind really helped. After hearing a lot of horror stories I am relieved I didnt have to an unpleasant assesor.
    Will wait an see what the report says. Will update when I get a decision. 
    Thankyou
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope it goes okay @cookie80
    Scope

• cookie80
    Thankyou Chloe!
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited March 2020
    Yep, I had a very nice assessor ( home assessment...moving from ten years on DLA to PIP.) very nice but professional along with it... It lasted over an hour .....My wife and I thanked her for yer time and off she went . I got a ten year re-assessment and enhanced rate for both ... ( If I,m still here in ten years , i doubt very much if I will be much bothered about PIP .? ( although the Scottish government are taking over the DWP for Scotland from next month ...if we are back to normal of course )....and the first minister has said a few times that all people will be treated with dignity and fairness and it will not be the same test for Disability as we we have at present ) .....I was lucky getting a very decent person to be assessed by ....I said that before I got any report back .
    I hope you get what you are claiming for cookie 80 ...good luck .?
  • cookie80
    Thankyou so much Seanchai. It's nice to hear positive experiences. I am glad you were treated well!
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    cookie80 said:
    Hi all, I have a ESA assesment in 2 weeks and I'm very nervous. I was calm and now the date is approaching I'm starting to panic. 
    The cost of the journey is about £25 each way which is so much. Maximus said i have to have a letter from my Doctor for them to reimburse the taxi fare. I asked my doctor for a letter to say I need to travel by taxi he said it  will cost £50. I had to leave that as the cost would end up the same. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me their experiences of the assesment. Thankyou so much!

If the journey takes more than 90 minutes using public transport to get to the assessment centre, then Maximus have to send a taxi to collect you. That's the law.  
  • cookie80
    Just a quick update, I got put in the support group. Thankyou to everyone who took the time to answer my questions on here. Stay safe!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cookie80 - Thank you very much for letting us all know. Delighted it's all worked out well for you! I hope you're able to relax now. Have a great weekend. :)
  • cookie80
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's great news @cookie80 and must be a huge relief for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cookie80
    Thankyou @Adrian_Scope, yes it is a huge relief and can relax a bit for now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.