Replacement power chair advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Replacement power chair advice

littleacorn
littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
I have had a reliable invacare spectra plus power chair for many years now and need a replacement. This model is no longer manufactured. I have been trawling through an unbelievable number of wheelchair providers websites and still cant find what I feel meets my needs. I need a chair with a short depth of 14 inches but an adult chair with two seperate foot plates Can anyone pass on any advice please?

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you had any advice from Wheelchair Services. I trust them more than a dealer.
    Polllsx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @littleacorn and a warm welcome to the community! I love your username. :)

If you have an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, ask them for advice on what you need and what products are available. 

Please check out this link on working with your occupational therapist to find the best equipment for your needs 

Working with your occupational therapist 

Look for online discussions about what other people with similar conditions  use, such as:

• relevant Facebook groups

• AskSara, a website that provides online advice about buying disability equipment 

Think about how you plan to get the equipment you need and how to pay for it and what to consider before ordering it. 

The links below have good tips on what to look out for.

What to consider before you buy equipment (Disability Equipment Service) 

Disability equipment buying guides (Disabled Gear) 

Please do let us know how you get on. :smile:

Scope

• littleacorn
    Hi

Thanks for the info. I dont have a OT or physio. I self manage my condition which is quite rare and have had since birth. Each person who has it is differnt to everyone else. Most use manual chairs but as I am older and have been there got the teashirt! 

I haven't heard of Asksara so I will try that. I am well informed about what I need to look for and how I will pay for it. Infact I think I might have a fight on my hands when i make a request to the local wheelchair services for financial help towards the cost as I have been informed they don't make financial contributions towards power chairs!

I am in the process of getting a powerchair through wheelchair services but they dont consider the need to get it in and out of the boot of my car with the aid of a hoist a clinical need. I also know that the engineer who I have has not long been in this post and to tell the truth he is trying his best but I have had to challenge him a few times. I must be a nightmare for him! I feel now I am just being fobbed off with what they have in stock.

The problem I have is that I need a chair which has a short seat depth, seperate footplates, not high off the ground and a collapsible or removable back. You think it would not be dificult but I feel I am at loss as what to do next as I have looked at loads of manufacturers and still not found anything. The thing is does this chair even exist and if not what do I do next.

Any ideas?

Littleacorn

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @littleacorn, just wanted to see how you were getting on. :)
    Scope

• littleacorn
    I have now had 2 different wheelchairs delivered by wheelchair services both of which have been not suitable. 1 has been returned and now waiting for the other one to be collected. Not sure if this is going to happen in this current climate. The engineer said he has another chair in mind and will get that out to me. Not sure if he is still working or not though, as this was over a week ago. Stay safe!
  • Sorry_Susan
    Sorry_Susan Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Oh, you are asking for the world here! There seems to be a serious gap in the market. I have been researching this for months. When it comes to collapsible chairs you are not spoilt for choice. If you have a hoist, that makes it easier as you don't have to worry about the weight.
    Would be interested to see what solution you are provided with. I gave up looking as Covid came along. Figured we couldn't get out for the next 3 months, so giving it a rest.
  • littleacorn
    I have been looking into this for about a year as I knew it would be a problem. The thing is with all my research I feel I know more than the professionals but you still need to play their game! I need a solution at some point otherwise I will be without a chair. I do use a hoist in my car which is great but I wonder if I will have to give this up as there appears to be no such chair that meets my needs. It will be such a shame as it gives me so much independence.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear the two chairs were not suitable @littleacorn. I hope the other chair is a better fit. It's great that you have been researching your options, I just hope this pandemic doesn't go on for too long and you can get back outside. :)
    Scope

• littleacorn
    I hope we are all back out soon but until then we  just have to wait!

• Chloe_Scope
    I really hope so @littleacorn!
    Scope

Brightness