CA affect ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CA affect ESA

kaizer
kaizer Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi, my husband has finally been awarded high rate PIP (after being on low rate DLA for many years) so I was never able to get care allowance, I was advised by the PIP assessor that if he gets high rate that I should claim CA. 
My only income is my child benefit for 1 child, however my husband receives ESA support group contribution based aswell as his new PIP. If I apply for CA will it affect his ESA or any of his benefits?
Thank you for any advise. 

Comments

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    It is my understanding that both ESA and PIP are classed as disregarded benefits so are not included in any calculations. Do you not get any universal credit? Have you done any benefit calculations on "Turn to Us" for example or Citizens advice web site may help.
  • kaizer
    edited March 2020
    I personally dont receive any benefits or money except CHB. (Apparently, according to the social I wasnt entitled to anything as it's as though I dont exist(there words)) so I've never claimed any money. 

I read that if I claim CA it can affect the ESA of the person I care for. 
    So before I make a claim, i want to make sure it doesnt affect my husbands ESA.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hi,

Are you sure that your husband is claiming Contributions based ESA? Are you not added to his claim? Is his ESA £111.65 per week or is it more than this?

If you're not added to his claim may i ask when his claim for ESA started?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kaizer
    He gets £176 a week because its topped up by the support payment, he was previously on incapacity but changed to esa 2011
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that, this is exactly what i thought. That amount tells me that you are named on your partners ESA claim and you are claiming as a couple. The amount that is received includes the following.
    ESA couple rate £111.85 per week
    ESA support group amount £38.55
    Enhanced disability premium couples rate £24.10 per week.
    Total amount per week £177.50. Although you said he receives £176?  Part of his claim is indeed Contributions based but he receives the income related top up because you're named on the claim.

If you claim Carers allowance for looking after your partner then this will be deducted £1 for £1 for the ESA total amount. Then they will add a carers premium to that amount. This means if you claim this your ESA will look like this.
    £177.50 - Carers allowance £66.15 = £111.65 + carers premium £36.85 = £148.20 per week.

Your ESA will be £148.20 per week.
    Carers allowance paid separately £66.15 per week.
    This means that you will be £36.85 better off per week.

You will be able to start a claim for carers allowance once the PIP award is in payment but you'll need to make sure you claim the carers allowance within 3 months of the PIP award starting and then it's backdated to the start of the PIP award. Claims for carers allowance could tax 8-12 weeks, potentially longer with Covid19 pandemic.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kaizer
    Thank you so much for dumbing it down for me. Much appreciated ?
  • kaizer
    Hey poppy123456, I've just looked at my hubby's esa it says £73.10 living expenses + £38.55 support group = £111.65 then top up £64.90 (from when on incapacity) = total £176.55 
    It doesnt say anything about disability premium or anything. 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2020
    I have no idea what that £64.90 is sorry. Unless it's a transitional support protection, if it is then this will end In April this year.
  • kaizer
    They said it's a top up because my husband went from incapacity benefit to esa and esa was less so they topped it up to equal what he was getting on incapacity. The last letter we got saying what the money was was only last week.
  • poppy123456
    Yes, just as i thought it's a transitional support protection and this will end on 5th April 2020.
    See link. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/875/regulation/21/made After this date his ESA will be reduced to approximately £111 per week (slightly more than this after 8th April 2020 due to yearly increase)

The reason you're not claiming as a couple is because this top up is more than what he would receive if you were claiming as a couple.

You maybe able to claim  ESA as a couple once that ends. However, claiming Universal Credit as a couple could potentially mean you'll be better off. He would remain on his ESA and that amount will be deducted from the UC amount. He would also be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC. Using a benefits calculator will help here.

• kaizer
    Thanks for that. Looks like my hubby's gonna have to get in touch with them because we haven't been told anything about the reduction.
  • kaizer
    Hi again, sorry about being a pain. Looked through last letter he got last week and it says he will be paid the above amount from April  7th till November 22nd. 
    Also because it's a transition top up and not disability premium were do I stand about CA, so confused ?
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea why he's going to continue to be paid that transitional support protection until November because it definitely ends in April this year. Unless his award changes and you will be added from April this year.

As it stands now if you claim CA then it won't affect the amount of ESA he's entitled to.

If his award changes slightly in April then the above calculation will apply but with a slight increases due to the April yearly increase.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.