Will a small inheritance affect Pip & DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will a small inheritance affect Pip & DLA

Ladystarbar1
Ladystarbar1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, my nan passed away in January and my auntie has said my nan left £1500 for each grandchild. I'm on Pip and my son is on Dla. Will this affect any benefits as it's not a large amount? Who do I notify? Every phoneline will be busy at the moment.

Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear that!

PIP and DLA are not means tested so the inheritance will not affect either of those.

However, if you're claiming any other means tested benefits like ESA/JSA/ Income Support, housing benefits/council tax reduction or Universal Credit, then if the money takes your total savings to £6,000 or more then you'll need to report the changes and you'll see a reduction in your benefits. If it brings your total savings to £16,000 or more then you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ladystarbar1

Good Evening & Welcome ??

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that you have meet Poppy she is very very good with anything in & around Benefits.

Please please let me know if you need any further help/advice??

@steve51
  • Ladystarbar1
    Ladystarbar1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for your prompt replies Poppy and Steve. Very useful and helpful information.

Kind Regards 
    Georgina 

??
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ladystarbar1

No probs it’s my Pleasure ??

Please please keep in touch my friend ??

@steve51

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.