Income query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Income query

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
 A young relative of ours has asked my advice. They receive income based esa and are in the support group. Their parents have put money in their saving account since they were little and continue to do so now they're in their 20's. Does this count as income? They declared savings when they first claimed esa but not that there is a regular payment going into it. 
What should they do?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Savings count as capital, is the amount either more than £6,000 or £16,000 ? or less than £6,000 ? AFAIK gifts of money don't count.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    No, they are well under £6000. Does it not matter if it's a regular payment? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Gifts of money are not classed as earnings BUT questions could be asked if the money going into the persons bank is a regular thing. I'm not saying it definitely will happen but it may happen.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.