permitted work and self employed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

permitted work and self employed

DD66
DD66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I Need advice on ESA/Permitted work/Self employed/Covid 19
I am a visually Impaired self emplyed piano teacher working in a school or was until they had to close, I work within the guide lines of permitted work earning less than £131.00 a week recommed by the DWP and still maintain my ESA, I take an active role in my home sharing the bills with my husband whom is working full time and is not on any benefits, he iis in self isolation at the moment as he is type 2 diabetic and has a slight cough which is getting better, he is still getting his full pay too. 
so thats the details, my question is can I claim anything with the gov covid 19 as I can't work for as long this virus continues, I've tried calling DWP who advised me to start applying for universal credit but when I started the process it said I would need to do a joint claim with my husband and If I had Servere Disabled premium I can't apply for it, I'm really not asking for much other than What I am not earning in the general scheme of things for what i would have earn't. could any kind hearted person offer some advice.
Thank you Dawn 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As your husband works it's very likely that your ESA is Contributions based and this will not include the SDP.

UC is a means tested benefit and yes you will need to claim as a couple. Your ESA will not transfer to UC because it's Contributions based and this isn't part of UC. Your ESA support group award will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA element as well as the standard element for a couple (which is being increased by £20 per week for 1 year from April due to Covid19)

Your ESA amount will be deducted from your UC entitlement. If you have savings of more than £16,000 then you won't be able to claim UC. Savings of more than £6.000 then your UC will be reduced by £4.35 for every £250 over that amount.

Whether or not you'll be entitled to anything will totally depend on your husbands earnings. A benefits calculator will tell you whether or not you're entitled to any UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DD66, just wanted to see how you are getting on.

Here is some information from RNIB about sightloss and COVID-19. You might find this useful to look at.
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.