Worried about the fallout — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about the fallout

soconfused
soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi All,

I recently got Enhanced Mobility - I am waiting to get my car. My problem is that my (now ex) partner was my support - and I went to tribuneral to get extra points. I got these in needing prompting for a journey

I am now moving back to be with my main family member. My fear is that if I am seen out on my own I will lose my PIP as I do struggle to go most places without anxiety but this mainly due to getting lost and the fear of not being able to get home again. So I wanted to know what your view was on someone (father) adding journeys I need to do to my Google calendar so my phone Prompts me - and then using car's sat nav and a TomTom unit to get about? I am being prompted so that should fit the descriptor

Will this be OK? Or am I just being stupid and no one will care? I thought maybe I should cancel my car order and just use the money for taxi's but that's not a really good solution long term. I have 3 years allowance might as well use it to the max. 

Thanks. I am genuinely worried this is not a prank post!

Comments

• soconfused
    Just a side note for site admins. I posted this and nothing happened - it's only because I checked the main threads I saw it had been posted so didn't post twice. 
  • gillian72
    gillian72 Community member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    @soconfused I don't AV a clue  but I'm sure u will be ok  till virus is over lol sorry I've got a terrible sense of humour ?
  • soconfused
    No problem thanks :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Enjoy your new found freedom have a data base of all your regular travel destinations saved on your Tom Tom and it’s just a matter of looking them up under either recent destinations or favourites places and the main one home . I use my Tom Tom all the time with lifetime map updates and traffic even when I know the route having advanced warning of traffic problems is a real help with auto redirect if needed.
  • soconfused
    Thanks, although the way I am feeling today I want to cancel the car, get drunk, really drunk and stab myself in the head.

No joke 
  • soconfused
    okay thanks Mike. My circumstances are going to change and I am going to have to live in a campervan - but I won't be going anywhere much and when I do I will have someone with me - so I hope the PIP will hold out as that's going to be my income until I can secure some sort of Job and then I will give it up 
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    @soconfusedit sounds like you have a lot on your plate with all these changes. As someone who suffers from anxiety I know how overwhelming big choices can seem especially when there is red tape to jump through and feeling like you are losing control. You may find some encouragement and support by looking at this board and talking to the advisors and community there. Just remember you aren’t alone in all this.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @soconfused. I'm sorry to hear you and your partner are no longer together. But as Mike said, PIP isn't about the help you receive, it's about the help you need. So there's no reason it should affect your claim.

With regards to your Motability car, it may be worth you getting in touch with them. With the current situation they have given guidance on their FAQs from the Motability Scheme regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus) page to those waiting for a car to be delivered: 

"If you are not currently a customer on the Scheme and are waiting for your first car to be delivered, unfortunately this will now be delayed until the dealerships that supply the Scheme are able to open again. We appreciate that this might be difficult for you, however we are not able to hand over any new cars at this time. Unfortunately we are not able to arrange for any cars to be delivered either."

Just to add: even if you start employment, there's no need to give up your PIP. Lots of people claim PIP and work full-time. 

I am concerned about how you're feeling right now though as you've mentioned wanting to harm yourself. Do you have much in the way of support? While it's fair to say as a pan-disability charity our strengths lie more in the daily lives of disabled people, we are willing to seek extra support for you if you're interested. Please get in touch with us on community@scope.org.uk if you'd like us to look into it.

If you are having thoughts of harming yourself, it's really important you speak to someone qualified and able to help you with them. Please call Samaritans on 116 123 (email them at jo@samaritans.org) if you continue to have these thoughts. There's also some resources from Mind about suicidal feelings. Of course, if you do feel like you might be in danger, please seek medical attention.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    wilko said:
    Enjoy your new found freedom have a data base of all your regular travel destinations saved on your Tom Tom and it’s just a matter of looking them up under either recent destinations or favourites places and the main one home . I use my Tom Tom all the time with lifetime map updates and traffic even when I know the route having advanced warning of traffic problems is a real help with auto redirect if needed.
    Should you really be out and about in a car? Are all your journeys absolutely essential?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.