Hi, my name is benjamo30! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is benjamo30!

benjamo30
benjamo30 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi everyone-  I'm Ben,  I'm 23, currently in the final year of university.  I suffer from mild cerebral palsy. 

Have recently found the platform and was intending to volunteer as a community champion, but the link to sign up for that wasnt working, so figured I'd just sign up anyway and help as and when I can, since we are all stuck in our houses now!

As an aside, I'm currently in the process of collecting data my final year university project-  I'm investigating public perceptions of genetics and genetic counselling- and I'm aware that some in the disability community have quite strong opinions against  the concept of testing for mutations. Would it possible for me to promote the survey in the forum somewhere in an attempt to get responses from disabled people?  I understand if not,  but figured I'd ask first.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @benjamo30 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. Very pleased you've joined us all, but sorry that the link for volunteering as a Community Champion didn't work. I'll ask @Adrian_Scope to look into that for you. I hope he'll also help you further with your survey.
    Some years ago, as someone that has a genetic disorder (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome), I participated in a meeting with others with a genetic disorder (or having a child with one) & geneticists, about what we thought about pre-natal genetic testing. Unfortunately, altho promised, we didn't get the results about this. The meeting was quite heated at times, but predominantly we (nearly) all came to favour genetic testing.
    Personally I feel that the more you know, & understand, the better.
    Glad to have you here with us Ben. Please look around the forum, & join in with any discussions of interest.

• Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Nice to meet you @benjamo30 welcome to the commmunity! :smile:
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @benjamo30 and welcome to the community.
    I'm so glad you signed up to the community and I look forward to seeing you around.

If you want to send us an email (community@scope.org.uk) with some information about your research, I can also take a look at the community champion link and give you some more information about that. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • benjamo30
    benjamo30 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi again, @Adrian_Scope, sorry to bother you again,I sent an email to the email address you listed above a few days ago,  regarding my research, but have not yet received a response.   Not  trying to rush anyone or anything like that,  just  not sure if its been received.  
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Hi @benjamo30 and welcome to the community. I would like to wish you all the best with your final year at university. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @benjamo30 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and have you on board!  I'm sure that you will make a very valuable contribution to the forum.  This is a great, supportive space with lovely people on it so I hope you enjoy your time with us.  I wish you well with your research and look forward to seeing you on here.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @benjamo30 and welcome to the community! Just to let you know that I have reviewed your research and please feel free to add it to our research board. :)
    Scope

Brightness