Thanks for listening — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thanks for listening

Cags147
Cags147 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosed at 28.  I am now 49 I was also diagnosed with Bipolar in 2009 and I was diagnosed with Asthma approximately 5 year's ago and finally I was diagnosed with Irritable bowel Syndrome last year.  I am currently awaiting until after the covid 19 is over to find out if I am also Diabetic Type 2 as I am borderline and apparently my last blood test last year showed that I was at 48 which apparently is just over the scale between 42-47 the nurse told me at my appointment last year to come back in March 2020 to have my bloods checked again but for obvious reasons that's been put off until further notice.  I am pleased to become a member as it can be difficult talking to family and friends about difficulties with my health conditions although I am very lucky to have a extremely supportive family and friends.  I am now living alone for the first time in my life as I lost my Husband Peter to cancer on the 13th of March 2018 and I am feeling his loss more this year even before we heard the first news of this coronavirus.  I had my PIP renewal assessment on the 10th of March 2020 which as usual was very stressful and traumatic and I am still waiting to hear if I will be able to keep my mobility car not that I can use it at the moment anyway.  It is extremely difficult times that we are living in and I know that I am not alone but I have always been a very strong independent person mostly and I am sure that most of you will understand that you don't always want to talk to family and friends about your burdens.  Thanks for listening.

Comments

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Hello @cags147 Hello and welcome to our community forum.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. The important thing was that he had your love and support, you did the best you could. it can take a long time to get over the loss of a loved one and adjusting to being alone. I do understand what you say about thinking your being a burden, however the truth is family and friends would not view it this way, just try and be open to them I am sure they will support you, there is no shame in doing so.

The lockdown is challenging for us all, but whatever you decide about talking to your friends or family, we will be here to support you.

We hope that your PIP assessment goes well, if it doesn't please let us know, there are people and advisers on the forum can give good advice on assessments and benefits and the possibility of appeals.

Also please have a look at our various group discussions which cover all areas of support, as well as our coffee lounge where we cover a variety of interests, hobbies, as well as general talk.

We look forward to talking to you more.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hello @Cags147    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you have been through .

Please if I make some suggestions.  Mentioned Bipolar often a good idea to get support woth any of that if have not got any.

Please consider these three Mental health charities.

Offer floating support take clientele with additional disabilities and problems issues.

Looking at health benefits and anything else.

Might not be in all areas, refer through website or GP.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk

https://www.mind.org.uk

https://www.rethink.org

Please if you do contact them they can help with many of the issues you are dealing with.

Please can I add always here your not alone if you wish to ask any thing. Any questions about anything get  in touch.

Only can advise and help be supportive, offer compassion empathy.

One organisation please look at in moments of grief and loss is this one.

https://www.cruse.org.uk

Helpline 0808 808 1677

Talk to some one does help. I used them myself for losing friends around addiction.

For your Arthritis this the organisation for that lots of information advice and support.

https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

Helpline 020 3781 7120

For Diabetes 

https://www.diabetes.org.uk

Helpline 0345 123 2399

Please if I can add do have qualifications in nutrition and diet useful knowledge which pass on to members.

Either recipes or ideas suggestions.  Pleasure to advise if you need to.

Know have these conditions diet nutrition so important.

Please have a look around our website, join in discussions plenty of support new friends.

Please wish you well tests and every thing. Please take care and be safe.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cags147 - Welcome to this friendly & supportive community from me too. I'm dreadfully sorry to read about the loss of your husband, Peter. This must be a very poignant time for you.
    It's great you have a supportive group of family & friends, but appreciate it's often easier to talk to others.  So, you are most welcome here, where you can chat about absolutely anything.
    I hope you enjoy being part of this community; we all have varying disorders (or family members with these), but try to support each other the best that we possibly can. You are now a part of this, so please say if we can help/advise you in any way; we are always here to offer support.
  • Cags147
    Cags147 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you all for your lovely words of support and informative links I am just having a quite night tonight.
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering

Hi @Cags147 - Welcome to the community. As you have already experienced we have amazing members for support, advice and just a chat. 

It is a very challenging times and especially as you face it without your husband adds extra difficulties. But as a community we are here to support and help each other and come through.

Take care and enjoy the community.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cags147 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you so much for sharing with us.  I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.  I can appreciate how distressing this must be for you at times on top of your health conditions.  Wonderful to hear that you have great family and friends, but I do know what you mean about talking to others as sometimes it can be easier to open up to a stranger rather than ones we are close to, although I am sure your family and friends do not see you as a burden and will do their best to help you at all times.

I hope the outcome of your PIP renewal goes well for you and please let us know how you get on with it.  We are all here to support you on the forum so please chat to us anytime.  There will always be someone on here to chat to.  Everyone is lovely on here and so friendly.  We are happy you have joined us and look forward to seeing more of you on here.  If there is anything we can do to support/help you then please just ask.  Please stay safe and all the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Cags147. Let us know how your renewal goes. Fingers crossed for you!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness