Would like to talk to someone with dwarfism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would like to talk to someone with dwarfism

Val46
Val46 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
My name is Val, I live in Essex between Colchester and Chelmsford. I have the most common form of dwarfism, achondroplasia, and will be pleased to speak to anyone with the same condition, but also anyone else. I do enjoy knitting, but at present having shoulder problems as well as spinal pain, which does come with the condition at times. Live with my husband Geoff he is of average stature. We have two sons who both have my condition. They have their own homes, but not with anyone or have any children sadly. Would love to be a "nanna".xx

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Val46
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, hope your are keeping safe and well ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Hello Val46. Hope you find help and answers through community. 
    Look forward to reading how you getting on. 
    Keep Safe 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Val46 - I'm pleased to welcome you to the community. Thank you for joining & sharing about yourself & family. Please have a look around the forum, perhaps using the 'All groups' or 'Recent discussions' links near the top of this page on the right-hand side. Join in with any of the discussions, or chat here any time. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Val46. How are you?
    I'm glad you've joined us and I hope you stick around! In the meantime, you're more than welcome to jump over to our coffee lounge and start chatting.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Val46 and welcome to the Community.  How are you today?  It is nice to meet you.  Thank you for the interesting introduction.  I enjoy knitting also and am currently trying to knit a child's cardigan that I have been working on for a wee while, as not the best knitter, but I do really enjoy it and find it quite soothing.  What kinds of things do you knit yourself?  I'm sorry to hear of your present pain and hope you can return to your knitting soon.  

I hope you enjoy your time with us and find the forum to be helpful.  There are some lovely people on here and all very supportive.  I look forward to seeing you on here anyway.  If there is anything you need help or support with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Val46
    Thank you Ails,
    I knit mainly baby clothes for the local baby unit, and twiddle muffs for the dementia home in our town. I am a bit of a wool aholic, and ended up with loads of it, so now I am getting older trying to shred some of my load, as not finding knitting easy at the moment.  What other groups are you in on here.  Where abouts do you live if you dont mind me asking.? Not sure if I told you I am in Essex a small town between Chelmsford and Colchester, those two towns are quite well  known, where ours is not so well known.  So what is holding you up with your knitting.?  Do you live at home with family, or married ?   Take care and keep safe. xxx

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh that's lovely that you knit baby clothes for the local baby unit, @Val46.  I'm sure they are very grateful for them.  I have never heard of twiddle muffs before!  It sounds as though you are kept very busy with your knitting anyway.  That's great!  Good idea to get rid of all your old balls of wool.  Oh I'm just not the greatest knitter I'm afraid and only started taking it up again last year and joined a local knitting group which I really enjoy.  The other ladies are so helpful there and help me out if I get stuck which is often, lol!  When I first started again we were knitting squares for baby blankets for a local young mother's charity then moved on to the child's cardigan.  Should really be getting in some extra practice whilst at home.  I'm not really into any groups on here.  I'm one of the team of Community Champions who welcome, guide and advise new members and we all just generally contribute to the whole forum.  I live in the South of Scotland.  I have heard of Chelmsford, Colchester and Essex.  It sounds nice down there.  I'm married and live with my hubby and cat.  Do you have any pets?  Quite a few of us on here have pets and we often share photos of them and talk about them.  I hope you are having a lovely evening.  Thank you.  Take care and stay safe also.  xx  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Val46, lovely to meet you. I enjoy crochetting, but have never been able to get the hang of knitting!
    Scope

• Val46
    Hi Chloe,
    Lovely to hear from you.  How strange, I would love to crochet but like you with knitting cannot get the hang of it. Can I ask what part of the country  you are. Wondered if not too far, perhaps when this is over perhaps we could meet up.  Do you mind me asking do you have a disability, or just joined this group to chat to anyone? Take care and keep save.  Valx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Val46, I do have a disability. I work for Scope and help to run this online forum. How is the knitting going? :)
    Scope

• Val46
    Fine thank you. Had a break as suffering with back pain. But trying to continue as its for a baby at the moment, and afraid the baby will be grown up by the time the crdi is finished! Thanks for getting in touch. I am happy to talk to anyone who wants to chat.

Brightness