How many units of alcohol do you drink per week? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many units of alcohol do you drink per week?

2»

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   This my point thank you for sharing, life does not need to revolve around alcohol getting the message across is so important.

Weekend binges come across constantly neighbours communities doing this baffled mystified .

Lots of opportunities and things to do than sitting getting intoxicated .

Never understand that still do not.

Well done to you. You have a life doing whatever you want to.

I applaud you for being absent from any substances drugs or alcohol.

Long may you live a happy content healthy life.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    One thing that made me think about drinking (and as I said I rarely do now) was 2 years ago we lost the wife's brother he was 52 and had a drink problem for years in the end it killed him. Very sad.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• thespiceman
    Hello @woodbine   Sorry to hear this. I have met so many families who have lost members of their family whoever they may be.

We need to remember keep a memory alive to hold a candle a prayer.

Be supportive I hope can be if you ever need to ask or talk to me about anything happy to be supportive.

Happy to listen done a lot of hearing others people stories and they are important.

Never goes a way , I know others with losing family members pain is a constant reminder.

Always here to listen, any time.

Please take care and keep safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   This my point thank you for sharing, life does not need to revolve around alcohol getting the message across is so important.

Weekend binges come across constantly neighbours communities doing this baffled mystified .

Lots of opportunities and things to do than sitting getting intoxicated .

Never understand that still do not.

Well done to you. You have a life doing whatever you want to.

I applaud you for being absent from any substances drugs or alcohol.

Long may you live a happy content healthy life.

@thespiceman

I don't have a life at all, it's extremely boring...  I've still got a lot of the health problems I would've had from drinking but without any of the fun first!  I certainly don't hope for a long life, just want to get it over and done with as soon as I can. 

I agree with the others, a bit of 'fun' in moderation is the key.  I certainly wouldn't wish my own dull existence on anyone else! :)

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have never been a big drinker but although I thought I did as a teenager it was nothing like as much as they do now. Having spent a lot of time single or going to the pub alone I used to drink coke almost all of the time and then binge drink every 4-5 weeks for a lot of my grown up life but again, nothing like as much as adults consume regularly now. Since I was moved onto Tramadol about 12 years ago I have had no more than a dozen drinks and go long periods of none at all, due to a bad interaction between alcohol and Tramadol. I do find it exasperating that so many people drink so much and eat so much, put on weight and then constantly complain about being overweight or because they have Diabetes. Like everything in this world "you pays your money and makes your choice". I also find it aggravating when heavy drinkers complain and when it's suggested that cutting out or at least down on alcohol would be beneficial they come out with "I could stop whenever I want, I just don't want to". Classic addict excuse statement.

I'm very lucky in one respect, my body is completely immune to chemical addiction, not drink, not cigarettes and not opiates. It makes it very easy to not bother with such things. Whenever I have gone into hospital I have simply not bothered smoking and don't miss it. I really only smoke to help with boredom as being stuck indoors and living alone can be extremely boring without some sort of activity and movement isn't possible without aggravating my problems. There would also be an advantageous side-effect to getting Cancer. At least I would get the respect of having it whereas I get no respect at all for my severe disability. It seems though whatever part of my makeup prevents me getting addicted also seems to prevent me getting anything serious from smoking, no matter how much I smoke. As for the horror most people have with it, Cancer doesn't bother me and getting it would be no issue, I don't even think I'd bother getting it treated. I do not believe in this current attitude of "life at any price" and when life isn't worth living we should be given a way out instead of being forced to suffer pointless treatments and extensions to misery and suffering.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Sorry to hear this do not wish to cause any more pain for you.

Thinking of we have one life and we need to make the best we can every day.

Understand you may have a boring life I often say am a boring old fart.

Yet cope and deal with many aspects of my life with gusto and have to , wish no one to end up like myself.

I want to have a life, what you would really like to do ?

I believe every on has skills talents abilities to help themselves and pass on to others despite illness conditions and much more.

Something I have done. 

Wasted life now wish to be happy and content.

I used to work with those in hospice care.  Most emotional intense volunteered job I ever done,  but there was laughter tears jokes.

Why wish to end the life you have when you need to experience those with terminal illness will be for ever changing my view on life.

Every one went to their God with a prayer every one we encountered we made their life towards the end a content one and peaceful one.

Memories still think of any one in my heart who suffers like they all done.

I forget to add not adults but children teenagers and the young adults all got the life ahead f them, not ever going to be married have children and ever know what life is.

I made their life count last few weeks me and the volunteers.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    @thespiceman I think it's partly because I'm Scottish. I live in England people make assumptions I must drink. 

@OverlyAnxious yes the questions and then the looks of are you sure. My vice is I smoke I know I should give it up. 
    But as I tell them you try living my life x
  • DaveTheWasp
    DaveTheWasp Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    I don't drink anything now, mainly because I find it all too difficult to stop.

Up until February last year I was drinking a bottle of whiskey (40 units) a day. I got the scare of my life when I started having ectopic heart beats (I'd had several liver and kidney tests over the years which had all been normal, so I had somehow convinced myself that the drinking wasn't all that bad) , but then I realised I need to take care of myself more so I can be there for my family. I've had 2 beers since then and nothing else as I don't trust myself to not spiral back to where i was before.

To be honest most of the time I don't miss alcohol, and definitely don't miss the hangovers! 

Brightness