Had enough of pills and pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had enough of pills and pain

Options
LP80
LP80 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I’m in constant pain with multiple problems back pain being my worst on morphine cosine naproxen I take over 250 different pills a week what can I do I’ve had enough of pills n pain 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome, sorry you aren't feeling too good at the moment, have you ever been refered to your local hospitals pain clinic?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LP80 and I'm sorry to hear this. I can definitely relate with taking a lot of tablets! As @woodbine has suggested, a pain clinic would be a good starting point, if not tried already :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LP80 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. There's a very interesting article one of our members, @EmmaB wrote in the recent Motability magazine. Click through to p41 in this link to see an article on pain: https://live.editiondigital.com/e/201mppqns/lifestyle-106#!page1

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @LP80
    As @chiarieds suggested you might find my article above helpful. 
    If you are taking 250 tablets a week AND you are still in pain you seriously need a drug review. The drugs could actually be exacerbating the problem creating hyperalgesia, see my article for more on this...
    If your GP can only recommend drugs then I'd seriously consider changing GP, a lot of them are very uncreative and even unknowledgeable when it comes to pain management... Taking drugs, especially that many, could  causwell being you iatrogenic harm.
    There is a great closed group on Facebook: Opioid, Gabapentinoid and Antidepressant tapering group, full of very supportive people with personal experience. Worth a look.
    It will take committment to improve your situation but I'll bet that if you do you'll feel better in the long run (coming off these drugs is not easy).
    I hope that helps.
    Emma
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LP80 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much with pain and can appreciate how distressing this is for you.  You have been given very good information/advice above by members and I hope you find this helpful.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  Wishing you all the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi LP80
    I have spina bifida and have suffered from Chronic back pain for many many years. I was on a cocktail of medication, which after taking them for several years my body got immune to them and no longer worked. The pain drugs created so many horrible side effects that caused my stomach to swell to aching joints to headaches to anxiety and panic attacks. I decided to ween myself off the medication but spoke to GP prior to doing this and I took myself off the some of medication but did this at a slow controlled rate. I would not recommend anyone doing unless they speak to their doctor or consultant first. I can’t stress that enough. Anyhow after 4 months or so of coming off the some of medication and after replacing with taking CBD oil, meditating, healthy eating and taking vitamins, I’m reaping the benefits. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel pain but not as much as before and at least my stomach is not as bloated as before, my aches are not as bad and most of all my panic attacks and anxiety has lessened. Surprising considering what’s happening in the world.
    I know how hard and frustrating it can be to be in constant pain but it’s a lot better to handle pain when your mind is in a good place.  Maybe you can try some alternative pain relieve and slowly introduce into your daily routine. 
    You’ve come to the right place on this forum. Lots of great advice from all different perspectives, you just have to find something that works for you.
    Good Luck 
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 268 Pioneering
    Options

HI @lp80 Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am ever so sorry to hear you are in so much pain. We are here to help and support each other. 

You may find this page useful from our website https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/69983/managing-pain-during-isolation

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Brightness