ESA at 16 for disabled child - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA at 16 for disabled child

2»

Comments

• S243420
    S243420 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    so my childs claim has been closed yet again for being under 18 despite them having had a health assessment and being put in the support group.  this is so frustrating.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    It sounds as though they haven't transferred his ESA support group status to Universal Credit @S243420. Have you had any update?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • S243420
    i had a letter on 2nd April saying they couldn't pay ESA because he was required to claim Universal Credit and we also received a seperate P45.

since they closed the UC case i can't make any updates to the journal and the phone lines are crazy so i'm stuck once again.
  • S243420
    have they closed his ESA as well?  we know he can't get any payments but he should be getting ESA credit so not sure they can close it.  Is this why his UC claim has been turned down as well?
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @S243420,

They should not have closed his ESA claim. As you say, he should have been given a credits only award once he had been assessed as having Limited Capability for Work.

That should have been enough to allow him to make the claim for UC and the Support Group should have automatically entitled him to LCWRA element.

Your initial claim for UC may have been closed pending the outcome of the ESA and you would then need to make a new claim. 

Unfortunately you may have to start the process again with UC and as you say, everything is taking much longer than usual.

Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.