Severe spinal lumbar stenosis and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe spinal lumbar stenosis and PIP

lamiasafa
lamiasafa Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’ve recently been diagnosed with severe spinal lumbar stenosis I’m in so much pain. I’m on medication which has left me feeling shattered. Because of the coronavirus I’m unable to have an injection or operation because of infection and other priorities basically I have to wait it out until we get through the pandemic.  It’s not ideal being in so much medication.  I wonder if anyone knows whether this disease qualifies for personal independence payments I would be grateful for any information or advice please.  It’s so depressing being in so much pain. Thank you 
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lamiasafa - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm very sorry to read about you being in so much pain, & the understandable delay in getting further intervention.
    You might trying ringing your GP for advice about your current medication.
    About Personal Independence Payment (PIP), the condition you have doesn't qualify you for PIP, it's how your disability affects your daily living & mobility. You need to have had these difficulties for 3 months before claiming, & also be likely to have them for a further 9 months.
    Here's some information: https://www.gov.uk/pip
    As the booklet you receive to fill is titled, it's all about 'How your disabilty affects you,' rather than any diagnosis.
    Please keep in touch, & let us know how you get on. There are also people here who can advise about completing the claim form, etc. Do chat here any time, & please say if we can help in any other way. :)

• lamiasafa
    lamiasafa Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Thank you for your quick response I appreciate it. It’s nice to know that there is help when I need it I feel much better having joined your community ❤️
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're most welcome, & it's great to have you here with us all. You'll find this is a very friendly & supportive place, where we do our best to look after each other. :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lamiasafa and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear you are in so much pain at the moment.  That isn't good and I hope that eases somewhat for you soon.  I see that @chiareds has given you some great information/advice above about PIP which I'm sure you will find helpful.  Glad to hear also that you are enjoying being part of our great Community so far.  We are a friendly bunch of people here!  As @chiarieds has already said, please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If you need any further help/support then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Laney67
    Laney67 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi 
    I've just has lumbar decompression surgery to help with my stenosis but I was told that I maybe able to get disability as this is on going condition.
    Any advice would be great.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Laney67 said:
    Hi 
    I've just has lumbar decompression surgery to help with my stenosis but I was told that I maybe able to get disability as this is on going condition.
    Any advice would be great.

This thread is more than 2 years old. Lots of people successfully claim PIP because of the way this condition affects them but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis. It depends on how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. The following links may help you have some idea what the descriptors are and what they mean. https://pipinfo.net/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.