what happens during a PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what happens during a PIP assessment?

Options
rose1812
rose1812 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
I'm having a telephone PIP assessment tomorrow and I'm really nervous. I have autism and I really find speaking, especially over the phone difficult. I've gone through the copy of my form I sent in several months ago, I've made more notes, but I have no idea what they'll ask me or what I'll have to say or any of what happens? can anybody just explain what kind of happens? thank you x

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome, they will just go through a lot of what was on the application you sent in, they will want to know what your conditions are and how they affect you in terms of your care needs and or mobility issues, you might find doing it over the phone easier than face 2 face, just take your time when answering the questions and make sure you get your problems across to them.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rose1812 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry you're feeling nervous, which is to be expected for any assessment. Having had a PIP assessment myself, & from hearing some of our member's experiences with phone assessments, I can say it's the same for both, as far as the questions asked.
    You've done all the right things by going through what was on your claim form, & making notes, They go through what you've put on your claim form, asking how your disability affects you for those activities you wrote caused you problems. Try to give a couple of recent examples for these, explaining why you had problems, what happened when you attempted them, etc. They just need to know exactly how your disability affects your daily life or mobility. Do these problems affect you every day/most days/all the time? Give as much detail as you can, rather than 'yes/no' answers.
    You too can get through this. Good luck, & please let us know how you get on. :)

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    I had mine a few weeks ago asked about my illnesses and how they affected me  and about my medication and my physio therapy.
    Try to answer if you can't do something why you can't and give some examples good  luck ? 
  • rose1812
    Options
    thank you so much for the responses - I just had the assessment & they just basically confirmed what I'd written on the form, it wasn't even half an hour so it was actually okay. thank you all so much :) 
  • chiarieds
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi @rose1812 - Thank you for letting us know about your assessment. Well done on getting through it. :)
    You can ask the DWP for a copy of your assessment report in about a week's time. Tel: 0800 121 4433
    This will give you an idea of what you may have been awarded. Look for the points at the end of the report. You will still, however, have to wait for your actual decision letter.

• rose1812
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @rose1812 - Thank you for letting us know about your assessment. Well done on getting through it. :)
    You can ask the DWP for a copy of your assessment report in about a week's time. Tel: 0800 121 4433
    This will give you an idea of what you may have been awarded. Look for the points at the end of the report. You will still, however, have to wait for your actual decision letter.

oh cool I didn't know that, thank you so much!
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @rose1812 - You're welcome. When you get your report, look at the black dots against each of the activities/ mobility. Then use the following table to see how many points this means. Add up the points for each component separately(daily living & mobility). You need 8 or more for the standard rate, & 12 or more to indicate the enhanced rate for each.
    Please let us know if you have any other questions, or if we can help in any way. :)

• FairHairedFoodie
    FairHairedFoodie Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    Options
    @rose1812 I know this is entirely out of the ordinary, but I had my telephone assessment yesterday at 9:15am. This morning at 9:01 (less than 24-hours after the assessment) I received a text from DWP stating they had received my written assessment report. I immediately rang DWP, and after a lengthy hold, requested a copy of my assessors report to be mailed to me. With me on the phone, she printed it up and said it will be mailed out today. It's worth calling for it once you receive that text message. The worst that can happen is they tell you to ring back in a week, but for me it was brilliantly fast. Fingers crossed (for both us!).

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.