PIP change to circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP change to circumstances

kez15
kez15 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My husband claims Pip enhanced rate for living and mobility. He usually has a carer come in on a morning to help with bathing and dressing. Between us we have decided that due to the corona virus we would prefer not to have people coming in and out of the house with the possible threat of spreading the virus. This would mean I would take over all of my husbands care which I am quite capable of doing.
My question is , do I need to inform pip of this temporary situation. His level of care has not changed, just the person giving it.

Tagged:

Comments

• kez15
    My husband claims enhanced living and mobility pip. He has a carer who comes in on a morning to help with washing and dressing. Between us we have decided we would prefer not to have the carer come in due to the corona virus and thst I would take over my husbands care .  Does this count as a change in circumstsnce for pip?  He still needs the same care its basically a different person giving him it 

Thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kez15 - As your husband already receives the enhanced rate for PIP daily living & mobility, reporting a change of circumstances would involve a new claim, with no possible increase in benefit, as his award is already the highest he can get. So, no, you don't need to say this is a change in circumstances. Hope this helps. :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @kez15, hello and welcome, no you don't have to inform DWP about this change, have you thought about being your husbands carer as you have posted that you are able and fit enough to fulfil the role of his carer. Look on line claiming carer's allowance this should take you to government site with all details and criteria for claiming. And if the claiment is not working your NI is credited towards your state pension if below claiming pension. 
  • kez15
    Hi, @chiarieds,thanks for your help. I just wondered if they would say because we didnt have carers coming in they would lower his payment if that makes sense? In other words are we getting enhanced living because we have carers or do they not take this into account?
  • kez15
    Hi@wilko, I am my husbands carer and do get carers allowance already. When my husband first came out of hospital I had 2 quite young children and the carers came in to help me out. Obviously they are older now and dont need me as much. I guess having the carer gives my husband a level of independance and makes him feel that Im not doing everything for him. We were also told that having a care plan in place was the reason we would get PIP.  This was by a  pip assessor. Do other people get enhanced pip without having carers ?This really isnt about money as obviously I would take care of my husband no matter what. Truth is the whole having to be re assessed and filling out forms sends me crazy!
  • chiarieds
    Hi @kez15 - Your husband receives PIP due to the care he needs, & this hasn't changed. It isn't dependent on having carers come in. :)
  • kez15
    Hi @chiarieds
    Thanks for your reply. I also emailed Joanne at scope who has told me the same thing. Its such a relief tto know Im not doing anything wrong by not contacting PIP. Enough to worry about at present time. Stay safe and thanks for your help ???
  • chiarieds
    Hi @kez15 - You're most welcome. Pleased you are reassured with Joanne's help. I can quite understand you taking over your husband's care with the Coronavirus pandemic. My best wishes to you both. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.