Tribunal heard by phone call, how does this work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal heard by phone call, how does this work?

Kevwha
Kevwha Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I am new to the group I have joined on behalf of my wife who is diagnosed bi polar and has been for the past 36 years, she has numerous other health problems as I am sure your aware comes in tow with mental illness she has recently been refused pip and appealed to no avail, she now has a court tribunal forthcoming, but because of current crisis is to be heard by phone call, how does this work? We are quite concerned as she quite ill at the moment and is very high with her bi polar. 
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kevwha - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read about your wife's problems; this must be difficult for you both. A phone tribunal will be the same as appearing in person, but may hopefully be less stressful for your wife. The DWP just want to get a good understanding of just how your wife's disability affects her daily life. How it causes difficulties, in what way, what happened when she attempted any problematic activity (giving a couple of examples as to how she was at the time of her last assessment)?
    Do you have a date yet for her tribunal? :)
  • Kevwha
    Thanks for your reply, yes it's on the Thursday 23/04 /2020 at10 am
  • chiarieds
    Not too long to wait then. I wish her every success. Please keep in touch, & let us know how it goes. :)
  • Kevwha
    Will do and thanks again for your comments ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Kevwha. If possible keep some notes in front of you with the key things you want to get across and the areas you felt she should have scored points. I can find it very easy on a telephone call to forget my key points so it's a good idea to have prompts and reminders like this. 
    Best of luck to the both of you, please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kevwha
    Thanks for your comments and support, great news my wife Diane had her appeal this morning at 10 am and was  awarded pip for 5 years, it's such a relief after all the stress over the last 8 months I feel justice was done, as she is quite ill at the moment anyway thanks again for your support and if anyone is in the same situation don't give up, don't let them grind you down x. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Kevwha - That's great news, congratulations! Thank you very much for letting us all know, tho I'm sorry to read your wife is quite ill just now.
  • Kevwha
    Hi thanks, yes everything is being done by phone at the moment there is no face to face appointments with psychiatrists at the moment unless she becomes so ill as to go in to hospital, we're dealing with it at home her medication has been increased and hopefully things will improve, fingers crossed x. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.