I got awarded no points for type 1 diabetes on my PIP form how do I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I got awarded no points for type 1 diabetes on my PIP form how do I appeal?

alexharris2000
alexharris2000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I was told by a health visitor and my family to apply for PIP due to my disability and how it has affected me compared to how I used to be pre diagnosis, I feel like I didn’t explain very well on my form and I feel like other people must play on it to get their points as I know other people with the same condition that have been awarded pip, can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong ?

Comments

• Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi Alexharris2000
    Welcome to our forum.  We are quite a friendly bunch here most of the time although we had a discussion on which were the best biscuits debate which lasted days then weeks.  What biscuit do you like best? 
    About PIP.  If a health visitor advises you to apply for PIP he or she must consider that you're entitled to it, because they are medical professionals, and know what they are talking about.  They also have to know you and your disability.  You say that you won't happy with what you said on the form.  Forms can be scary to fill out.  But, have you had the assessment yet and been turned down?  Is that why you think that you've done wrong?  Please tell us?  If you don't mind, what is your disability?  Denise11
  • alexharris2000
    Yes I’ve been turned down, I have type 1 diabetes and depression but on the letter they sent back to me they said they don’t think there’s enough evidence that I can’t do everything for myself. I think it’s because I gave short answers and didn’t go in depth will citizens advice be able to help me appeal?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alexharris2000 - Welcome to the community. PIP isn't about your diagnosis, as several people with the same diagnosis are likely affected in different ways/severity. It's how your disability affects your daily living & mobility. An understanding of the 'descriptors' might help. This also shows the points that may be awarded. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    You can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) which means another DWP Decision Maker will look at your whole award again. You have one month from the date on your decision letter in which to apply. So, should you decide to do this, with a then better understanding of the descriptors, you should give a couple of examples of the difficulties you faced (at the time of the assessment) for each descriptor that applies. You need to go through a Mandatory Reconsideration before a Tribunal appeal, which may be likely, as unfortunately less than 1 in 5 MRs result in a positive change putting an award in place, or getting a higher award than initially received.
    I hope this helps, & come back with questions any time, as we will support you as much as we can. :)

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    You have 4 weeks to ask for a MR you have to remember it's not about your diagnosis it's how you fit the discriotors. You should seek help to go through what points you think you should get and why. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alexharris2000 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  Sorry to hear you are struggling with PIP.  It can be quite a confusing process, but hopefully all will be well in the end with your claim.  I hope you have found the above information/advice given by members to be helpful.  Good luck with your claim anyway and please let us know how you get on.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please don't hesitate to get in touch.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, PIP is about the care and or mobility issues you have because of your problems, its not about the fact that you have x y or z illness/disabilty, its very unfair to say that "other people must play on it".
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Denise11
    Hi @alexharris2000

Thanks for your reply.  I think you should do as others have said and do ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration!  I don't know you, it's difficult to know how you much you are capable of physically. But, when your having another assessment please tell them precisely what you can and can't do.  Please 'don't play on it' as that isn't fair on disabled people.  Just be yourself and answer simply and honestly, okay?  I'm not trying to put you down in anyway!

I have looked on the Diabetic website and it isn't very clear about type 1, in fact it says that in many cases type 1 isn't regarded as a disability.  And I'm every so sorry but depression isn't deemed to be a disability either.  

I hope the MR goes to your well.  Kept us posted on how you get on.

Kind regards - Denise11

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Might I respectfully disagree with part of your comment above @Denise11, a disability is anything that dis-ables you, or makes it harder for you than someone without such problems. Depression does seem to be disabling for many, many people. Mental health problems are every bit a disability as those physical ones. As everyone is different we can't know how their disability affects them.
  • alexharris2000
    Thankyou for all your helpful comments and I didn’t mean any harm in my comment regarding people “playing on it” but I’ve been told by people to exaggerate when I was filling out my form but I decided not to as I’d rather tell the truth, I just felt that other people I know in person that have been awarded had previously exaggerated on their forms, sorry if I offended anyone. I’m going to request an MR Monday Thankyou everyone again
  • Denise11
    @alexharris2000

Please forgive me if I came over too strong yesterday, because I didn't mean to upset you and I know how hard life is.  Remember one thing, 'be true to yourself'  and you've said that haven't you?   You're are a good person!
     Please stay in touch if you want too!  I hope you get PIP!   Do you work?  And is this lock down making your depression worse.  Denise11

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.