PIP HELP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP HELP

orourke20
orourke20 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello my mum put my PIP forms in in January, we haven't heard anything so she rang the other week and they told us its been with an assessor since 21st February
Should she ring up and chase this again is this a bit long for an assessment i know they are over the phone or paper based but just wondering is this a bit long to wait? 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @orourke20 - I'm pleased to be the first to welcome you to this great community. I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your query, but will ask a member of the Scope team for their advice for you tomorrow.
    May I ask if this is your first PIP claim?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    If this is a renewal and PIP is already being paid I wouldn't worry too much, if its a first claim then I would contact them as see what's happening.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• FairHairedFoodie
    FairHairedFoodie Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    My PIP forms were mailed with evidence on Jan 3, and my telephone assessment was just this Tuesday past.

It’s totally different for every person and every case, but this is what my experience has been (for what it’s worth).
  • orourke20
    @chiarieds thank you very much and yes this is a new claim I have applied in the past and been knocked back because the assessor didn’t write what we was saying and lied so we have tried again now I have more diagnosis and on more medication 

@FairHairedFoodie thank you for the reply yeah I might get mum to ring them tomorrow I am awful in the phone anxiety is horrible and my autism makes it hard to explain thank you 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope Please would you advise here, thank you.
  • Travistea
    Travistea Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Good morning, I was going to advise not to rush if it's an existing claim, but as it isnt dont worry they are still making decisions during this crisis, as they decided to remove mine (knowing I cant go to appeal court due to lockdown). But my application due to change of circumstances was submitted in September I was assessed in Ocyober and got a decision on 29th of March hope that helps with knowing the length of delays certain areas have.
  • orourke20
    hi all just and update my mum rang today my evidence has been with an assessor now for 12 weeks so we rang the assessors number they gave us and they said people with an appointee the guidelines are different because they don't live together but it clearly states on my forms i live at home with mum because i can't be independent. This is now making the think they haven't looked through my forms properly and i will be knocked back  
  • orourke20
     @Username_removed hello they said they should be doing assessments within 10 weeks and they have now had mine for 13 weeks next week, the person who done my assessment last time didn’t write down anything we said didn’t talk about my medication my diagnosis’s nothing like that so we tried again 
  • orourke20
    edited April 2020
    Where I am from it’s done quicker, when you send your letter in you wait two weeks for an appointment then after your appointment you wait 6 weeks for a decision 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I applied in July my first claim and just had my assessment over the phone on the 19th of March and got my decision yesterday. It really depends on how much of a back log they have. 
  • orourke20
    @Firefly123 I get that thank you we chased it today because of my anxiety and autism I overthink and worry so much hardly sleeping I hate not knowing things which is also part of my autism thank you so much for the advice means a lot 
  • orourke20
    @Firefly123 hope you got the decision you wanted!! 
  • Firefly123
    Yes I Had a very basic report but was awarded enhanced rate for both so back dated from August. And was given a 10 year award so I'm more than happy about that ☺ good luck with yours.
    Im also the appointee for my sons with Autism the only difference I found was they spoke to me mostly. 
  • orourke20
    Oh I’m over the moon for you!! Thank you!! 
    Yes my mum speaks for me I don’t communicate with them find it really hard
  • Firefly123
    Everyone is the same waiting but there is nothing we can do about it. 
    Except wait. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @orourke20. I really hope you're not waiting too much longer for your assessment. When you speak to them, try and remember that it isn't really about what you diagnosis is or what medication you take, but the impact these things on your ability to complete different activities. 
    So from what you've said, you find communication quite difficult? So have a think about what you find difficult, what support you need with it and what happens if you don't have that support. 

Have a look at the different descriptors and activities here and try and think about what you need support with: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • orourke20
    @Adrian_Scope
    thank you for the link
    its the majority of things I’ve got a number of different problems including problems with my back and joints and stuff mum does nearly everything for me I can’t walk far I won’t go out alone it’s a number of things I can’t time keep or get a grip with things with my hands because of the joint problems, mum is going to ring again next week for an update 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.