PIP assessment with Capita and I'm really anxious — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment with Capita and I'm really anxious

sospanjones20
sospanjones20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hiya, I've got my pip assesment with capita next week and I'm really anxious. 

I have severe depression and anxiety, along with daily pain and exhaustion, I've got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia,ME, and ASD.

I can come across fairly well over the phone and am worried they'll misjudge me.

Anyone in a similar position been through this?
Tagged:

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sospanjones20 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  

I haven't been through a telephone assessment myself so unable to comment on how things go there.  However, I'm sure the assessor will just base their findings on the information you give them rather than misjudging you.  I'm sure other members have gone through a telephone assessment and will be best to advise you.  Please try not to worry about it, but I know this is easier said than done.  Let us know how you get on and I wish you well with it.

If there is anything we can do to help/support you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sospanjones20 - Welcome to the community from me too, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read about the physical & mental health problems you're facing, & that you're understandably nervous about your phone assessment. I've had 2 PIP assessments, but not one by phone. However, they are essentially the same, as far as any questions go.
    The important thing to take onboard, is, that whilst you might be asked about your medical history, & medication, PIP is mainly about how your disability affects you both mentally, & physically, so this is what the majority of the questions will be about. Try & give a couple of recent examples where you faced difficulties for any descriptor that applies. Say when it's difficult, why, what problems does it cause, such as pain, etc. With you having ME, you should say if any activity causes you fatigue during or afterwards, if any activity takes you longer, etc.
    If you've a copy of your 'How Your Disability Affects You' booklet, look through your responses beforehand.
    I would suggest having a read through the whole of the following link about the descriptors too.
    You can ask the DWP for a copy of the assessor's report a week afterwards. Tel: 0800 121 4433 The report will give an indication of what you may be awarded, as the DWP Decision Maker usually agrees with the report. You will still have to wait for the actual decision letter tho.
    As Ails says, please do let us know how you get on, thank you.  :)
  • sospanjones20
    sospanjones20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you both so much for the kind words of encouragement and advice x got fingers and toes crossed and just counting the minutes until its over now ! I will keep you posted. No doubt with a lengthy description of the phone call 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.