Advice on how to support her learning — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on how to support her learning

donnap79
donnap79 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
Hi my husband has just made a new claim for our daughter who has a lot of learning difficulties and has been diagnosed with DLD before school closed development learning disorder and she has dislexia and she has trouble processing things during learning and is currently seeing a speech therapist well she was when school was open she also has a one plan in school which means she works in smaller groups at school at a lower age level on English learning and maths to help her learn better as she’s not at the expected age of the class it’s taken 2 yrs to get the assessment done but we are very grateful for the school as now they are doing all they can to help my daughter during the schools being closed my self s as me my husband have decided to apply for DLA I was wondering if anyone knew if we would be eligible? We applied in March well they sent a text saykng they received the form 3rd March since then we have started paying for a private tutor online for an hr a wk for my daughter during this time of being of school and if she is awarded we will try and get her any support we can after also. To try and help her get back on track she is 10 so this time Of school is important at her age and she’s really struggling at home and not able to do the work set as it’s the work for everyone in the class the teacher has said that she will do a pack especially foe my daughter tho for her needs from Monday paper based which will be better for me and my husband to try n support our daughter my question was does anyone have any advice or havr a child with the same learning problems could you give me any advice on how to support her eith learning as she seems to be struggling and I don’t like to see her so upset and stressed cause she can’t do it without the support she’s use to in school and also do you know if this does qualify for DLA also what’s the time scale for a decision thank you 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @donnap79, hello and welcome, I am not sure if the diagnosis your daughter has meets the criteria for claiming DLA as it is not or may not fall into the scope of DLA. Have you checked on line about your daughter and her learning difficulties, I know the schools and local councils are legally obliged, responsible for situations like your daughters. If I find more information I will repost. 
  • donnap79
    Oh thank you that would be great 
  • donnap79
    No she’s mobile it’s not so much the dla side to be honest we are focusing more in her education but it’s to be able to afford to get her all the help n support she needs as I know the school can only do so much n at the minute she’s only getting the online tutor we are paying ourselves as the schools are shut and as she only has a one plan she doesn’t come in the criteria for being in school at the moment the work she’s been set is very difficult for her myself and my husband are trying to support all we can but she’s not taking to the change very well as she does have a lot of help in school you see 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donnap79 - Welcome to the community. There are some free resources you can try. See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize
    There seem to be a lot of sites that are offering free material as the schools are closed. Hope some of the above may be helpful to your daughter. :)

• donnap79
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hello @donnap79

I also have a 10-year-old with additional needs. She's really struggling with the change in routine, let alone having to adapt to learning at home. But to be honest, we are focusing more on her mental health and wellbeing than the work her school are sending home, and they're supportive of this too.
    Remember, learning doesn't have to mean sitting at a desk. The lessons learned through play, creativity and exploration can teach so many important skills and allow children to see and use the things they've been learning in practice. 
    Don't forget the school should also be supporting you with this. Would you be able to talk to them and ask what sort of support they would give him in school? Hopefully the work they've agreed to produce for today is a little more suitable.

The government advice on it is: 

No one expects parents to act as teachers, or to provide the activities and feedback that a school or nursery would. Parents and carers should do their best to help children and support their learning while dealing with competing demands.

In addition to the brilliant link @chiarieds shared, I just wanted to add these: 

Gov have put together a list of SEND resources and have provided a little more information together about helping children with SEND continue their education during coronavirus.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • donnap79
    Thank you got your reply has been very helpful ?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donnap79
    My first piece of advice is to talk directly to the teacher. Ask politely for some advice. Speak to her online tutor as well. Make a list of possible strategies to try. Does the school have a active subscription to mymaths.co.uk or not. If so ask for login details. 

Brightness