Will UC take money off, if my carers allowance get back dated? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will UC take money off, if my carers allowance get back dated?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,036 Disability Gamechanger
    When claiming Carers allowance and UC together then your carers allowance will be fully deducted from your UC monthly payment. The amount that is deducted is £259 per month. This is because you'll be paid £64.30 per week separately by carers allowance and you can't be paid this money twice.

UC should then add a carers element of £156 per month to your UC payment. In total you'll be £156 per month better off.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sharon1994
    Sharon1994 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Ave already been on the phone to uc if a get 750 back date carer allowance as a haven't been paid any yet they can only touch 279 off my uc as tht wat a wud be getting a month of carer they can't take my full uc off is wen a get carer allowance back date 
  • poppy123456
    Have you been claiming UC for the whole of that time?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sharon1994
    A been cloam it for year and hLf a hVent even had my first payment of carer yet and already spoken to them
  • poppy123456
    The carers allowance will not be back dated because you're already claiming UC and you can't be paid carers allowance twice. You will have a carers element added to your UC of £156 per month but be careful because they don't backdate the carers element either.
  • Sharon1994
    A no for a fact they do as me mam was cliam carer and uc together and she got it back 
  • poppy123456
    When you claim carers allowance and UC together they deduct the whole of the carers allowance from the UC. You'll then receive the carers element in your UC payment. See link and scroll down to carers allowance and universal credit.

• jackiedflz
    jackiedflz Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I'm confused too I claimed uc on the 10th Jan but my carers is backdated from 7th nov will uc take my backdated money of carers 
  • poppy123456
    I'm confused too I claimed uc on the 10th Jan but my carers is backdated from 7th nov will uc take my backdated money of carers 
    No, because you didn't claim UC until 10 Jan. Payments after this date will be deducted from your UC monthly amount. Don't forget to make sure that UC add the carers element to your UC monthly amount.
  • estherolivia
    estherolivia Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hiya I’ve just been backdated carers allowance I am terrified there going to take 750 out my universal credit what happened with you 
  • jackiedflz
    jackiedflz Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I was on income support and I was getting the disabled element paid so I didn't get any back money but if you have been on universal and have not been getting the £156 carers element then you should get the back money off carers allowance.
  • poppy123456
    Hiya I’ve just been backdated carers allowance I am terrified there going to take 750 out my universal credit what happened with you 
    If you've been claiming UC the whole time then the money you received from carers allowance will be an over payment, minus the carers element. You need to ring UC and tell them you're claiming carers allowance because it's deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.
  • NJDM
    NJDM Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I have been on the following -

UC - Since April 2019

I have recently just been awarded Carers Allowance which was backdated from Dec 2019 to March 2020.
    My April UC of this year 2020 was reduced from 409 to 123, which I understand and this will happen each month to my UC going forward. But I would like to know what happens to my backdated pay I just received - Is my situation overpayment & why would they reward me this in the first place if that is the case ?

Any clarification would be good -  Many thanks :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hello @NJDM.
    Can I just check, have they added the carer element on to your UC (£160.20) as well as taking the deduction for overlapping Carer's Allowance?

The system will pick up the backdated Carer's Allowance and it will be issued as an overpayment, so will be sent as a debt to debt management and then recovered from your future UC payments. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • NJDM
    Hello @NJDM.
    Can I just check, have they added the carer element on to your UC (£160.20) as well as taking the deduction for overlapping Carer's Allowance?
    Nope wasnt aware of that - so 160 on top of the normal UC - £407 ?
    They only took 1 deduction from this current month and left with me £123 ?
    Little confused now :(

The system will pick up the backdated Carer's Allowance and it will be issued as an overpayment, so will be sent as a debt to debt management and then recovered from your future UC payments.

Why did they award this to me in first place and just pay what I was entitled to, instead of all the messing. Its good job Ive put the money to one side, but still not the wiser on what I should be getting going forward.....

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hi @NJDM
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm going to try and clear it up for you.

On your statement does it say "Standard Allowance: £409". As you are a carer, you should also receive the Carer Element. This is currently £160.20 (but is set to increase slightly from next month). 

So under your standard allowance should be another section called Carer Element. 

If this isn't on your statement, you need to contact them as it should be. It may be that you need to report being a carer to them. But if you get in touch they can let you know if there's anything you need to do to sort this out.

Going forward, your amounts should be:

Single over 25: £409.89
    Carer Element: £160.20 (increasing to £162.92)

Then deductions of £291.42 because you are receiving Carer's Allowance and it is classed as an overlapping benefit.

Does that make sense?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • NJDM
    So I'll be worse off for caring for my own mum who is 82. Surely I'm getting this wrong ?
    I'll check my UC now and see if anything has been updated. 
  • NJDM
    I have told UC about the change on 15th April this month so I guess the added CA will be added next month. I just can't get my head round being worse off ?

This is.my latest statement from the 21st April.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I've been researching this today it's better to not claim carers allowance and claim the caring element of uc which means you get your whole uc with the carers eminent added on as yes they take £1 for every £1 when it's carers allowance. 
  • NJDM
    It's an absolute joke especially in these times !

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.