How do I get a free scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a free scooter?

Options
whitbystella
whitbystella Community member Posts: 2 Listener
 :)  hi my name is john, I'm 52 and disabled. I have a wheelchair and mobility car which is great, but it still means I can't go out without my wife. She lifts the chair out of the boot of the car also helps with obstacles in daily life. The streets are not made for disabled people with high curbs potholes etc etc. It does get me down but my next car in 2021 I'm getting a lifting arm in my car to lift a mobility scooter out of the boot . so here's my question, how do I get a free scooter??  Cheeky I know but its took me awhile to come to terms that I'm not getting better and I don't like help as its a sign of me not trying hard enough. But I'm stuck in now due to the lockdown and I'd like some help please . 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @whitbystella - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining, John. I'm sorry I can't answer your query, but hopefully other members may know. I can understand your wish to be as independent as possible; good for you, & I hope you find a free one. If not you could try Gumtree, or for new boot scooters try here: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/mobility-scooters/boot-scooters/

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @whitbystella and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I know how you feel with regards to your wife helping you when you are out and about in your car as my husband has to get my wheelchair out of the boot too as I can't do it on my own.  It is quite frustrating, but great they are there to help us.  Yes, some of the streets of today aren't exactly accessible for disabled people so I agree with you there.  Good to hear you will be getting a new car next year with a lifting arm on it.  I'm sure that will help a lot.

With regards to a scooter, I have one, but got mine from a mobility shop and paid the normal price for it.  I'm not sure where you would get a free one, but as @chiarieds has suggested, Gumtree is worth a look, you may not get a free one there, but second-hand ones will be reduced in price.  Also if you are on Facebook, you may find one on their Marketplace there where they will also be cheaper.  Other than that, you can get scooters through the Motability scheme if you don't have a car with them, but again they won't be free, I'm afraid.  Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope you find what you are looking for anyway.  Please let us know how you get on and if we can be of any further help/support to you then just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • whitbystella
    whitbystella Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou ails for the reply , I will look into your comments  and search Gumtree. I just thought there might be help out there to supply one for me . I'm new to being disabled and have not asked for help since being made to sit in this chair. It knocks you for six not being able to do the things your used to doing. I'm not used to asking for help even before me being like this, anyway sorry to bother you ails bye. John..
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @whitbystella, you are very welcome and please you are not bothering me at all.  That is what we are here for to help.  There maybe other members who might know if there is any kind of help out there to help you get a scooter and I'm sure if anyone knows they will post here.  Yes, I can imagine that being new to having a disability must be very frustrating.  I have been born with a disability so don't know anything else myself, but can appreciate it must be really difficult at times.  Yes, it's not easy asking for help, I don't like to do that at times either, but most people are only too glad to help us.  Anyway, good luck in finding a scooter and please let us know how you get on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again @whitbystella - another thought, I couldn't remember the name of the website before (another senior moment!). I was trying to remember Turn2us, but found this link which mentions their site + some others. Please see: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/charitable-grants-for-ill-or-disabled-people
    As you mention you're not used to asking for help, & I can also be like that too, I'm just wondering if you've looked into getting all the benefits you might be entitled to....after all unfortunately being disabled costs more, doesn't it? If you haven't, please try this benefits checker: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    Hopefully we'll find some answers yet! As Ails says, do please let us know how you get on. :)

Brightness