Is it worth continuing with an appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it worth continuing with an appeal?

donut61
donut61 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
had a home visit for PIP a while ago now didnt get enough points , wrote back saying i wasnt happy with the decision so asked for a mandatory reconsideration got a letter back after a few weeks back saying they  wont change decision , have to say i didnt send any more supportive imformation for my claim,  is it worth contiuing with a appeal ,

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donut61 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. You usually can appeal within one month of receiving the Mandatory Reconsideration decision letter, & from your response I'm unsure when you might have received this. Tribunal appeals, mainly now done by phone, seem to currently have a higher success rate.
    That being said, the most important thing is to explain how your disability affects you, giving a couple of examples (as at the time of your assessment) for each 'descriptor' that applies. You need to explain why you have difficulty, does this cause pain, fatigue, nausea, etc. What happens when you attempt the activity; can you repeat it within a reasonable period of time; can you do it safely, etc.
    Your saying how your disability impacts on your function is probably more important than your medical history & supportive evidence. A tribunal just needs to know how your daily living, &/or mobility are affected. As people with the same condition can be affected differently, you need to give your own individual response.
    If you decide to appeal, & have supportive evidence showing how your function may be affected, then by all means send it with your appeal.
    I would suggest looking at the following link about the descriptors mentioned, & the points against them. Try to work out if you should have gained points, sufficient to get an award, & why. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    May I add, that we will all support you with your PIP claim, whatever you decide. Please let us know how you get on, or if you have any other questions. :)

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donut61 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I hope you have found the great information and advice given by @chiarieds to be helpful.  May I wish you well with the PIP process and as @chiarieds says, please let us know how you get on.  If we can be of any further help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • donut61
    thanks for replies and advice i think with whats going on in world my problem is very small. but i am only asking for something i might be entitled to
  • MangyWolf
    MangyWolf Posts: 40 Connected
    In order to get pip you need to look through the descriptors and look for which ones apply to you. It's not just about telling them what medical problems you have, it's about how you affected on the list of tasks that PIP specifically states.

There is nothing to lose by putting in an appeal, and whether or not you do I would still suggest taking a closer look at the descriptors just to see if you find enough that you are eligible for. You would need to get at least 8 points in either daily living or mobility to get an award of standard rate.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    In answer to your question, yes it is worth it, but they do take time, more so atm with this lockdown.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• donut61
    thanks everyone forgot to say i got  6 points for DAILY LIVING  and  mobility i got 4
  • MangyWolf
    MangyWolf Posts: 40 Connected
    donut61 said:
    thanks everyone forgot to say i got  6 points for DAILY LIVING  and  mobility i got 4
    Do you think you would be eligible for at least another 2 in daily living and / or another 4 in mobility?

For example I should get like 20+ in daily living and at least 8 in mobility (maybe 10-14 now with the new descriptors), but last time I got 0 so I definitely appealed, just waiting for the letter now which hopefully should arrive today.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.