Do I get anything backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I get anything backdated?

charlie321
charlie321 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
edited March 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi applied for universal credit June 2019 handed sick note in had assessment was told fit for work same for mandatory went to tribunal and they have said not fit for work do I get anything backdated thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome.

It will totally depend what exactly the decision was from the Tribunal. If it was limited capability for work (LCW) you won't receive any backdated money.

If it was Limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) then you will receive an extra £336 per month, from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent the first fit note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlie321
    Hi it is lcwra and 1st fit note was sent in june
  • poppy123456
    Thanks but i'll need exact dates of when you first sent your fit note and what dates your assessment periods are each month. For LCWRA waiting period there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time. The extra money is then paid on the 4th month of your claim.

All i can tell you from what you've said is that you will be owed some money but how many months you're owed, i can't say without knowing more information.

Backdated money can take between 2-8 weeks but expect further delays because of Covid19.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charlie321
    What do you mean assessment periods
  • poppy123456
    What do you mean assessment periods

It's a rolling 1 month period that starts the first day you applied for UC. At the end of that assessment period you receive your statement. More info here. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Jargon-buster/Assessment-Period

• charlie321
    Hi first assessment was 17-06-2019 /16-07-2019  and 1st fit note 17 -06-2019
  • poppy123456
    Thanks. Backdated money should be paid from October 2019.
  • charlie321
    Thanks shall see what happens
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Under normal circumstances it can take 2-8 weeks to receive backdated money and about the same amount of time to put an award into payment. These are not normal circumstances because of the virus so it could potentially take longer.
  • charlie321
    Hi I recieved my first payment for LCWRA  there was no mention of any money backdated 
  • charlie321
    Recieved in April 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @charlie321. Unfortunately it doesn't seem uncommon for them to miscalculate backdated LCWRA. Have you been in touch with them to ask about it at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • charlie321
    No as I didn't know what to say to them and was unsure if I was entitled  thanks 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @charlie321. I'd suggest putting a note on your journal explaining what you have here. 

That you first handed in a fit note on 17/6/2019 and you have since been awarded LCWRA and you are wondering if they could look at whether you are entitled to any backdated money. 

Please let us know how you get on.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • charlie321
  • charlie321
    Hi just wanted to let you know I received backdated payments thank you for all your help
  • charlie321
    Will the money they have backdated affect my monthly payments they pay me
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlie321, it won't affect future payments. :)
    Scope

• charlie321
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi just wanted to let you know I received backdated payments thank you for all your help
    That's great news @charlie321 and didn't take them very long at all! 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.