What things are you doing to keep you going during lockdown/isolation? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What things are you doing to keep you going during lockdown/isolation?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
edited May 2020 in Coffee lounge
Having a chronic illness, I generally spend alot of time indoors especially in flare ups in everyday life anyway however lockdown/self isolation is difficult because people such as friends and family can't come to my home to visit me and I can't go out on a good even on a good day so some things I've been doing to keep my mind active (in between sleeping) are:
  • Playing with my kitten Bella, teaching her simple tricks.
  • Watching different movie genres that I wouldn't usually watch.
  • Drawing
  • Journalling and creative writing using writing prompts and I love it at the moment. 
  • Having a sing song to old tunes 
  • Reading (my room is like a library, I have so many books I haven't read, so this is the perfect time to do it.
  • Gentle exercise 
  • Came here on the online community to support others as this is a passion of mine so (Thankyou SCOPE) For giving me this opportunity.
  • Tidying around the house and looking at what I do and don't need.
  • Playing card games with my partner and my mum. 
  • Trying new recipes
Comment below what you have been doing and New things you've tried. 
Take care all and stay safe ❤️

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is what I have done this week:

Sorted out my clothes
    Researched cruises online
    Played a game of poker and bridge with my partner one night
    Exercise, mainly yoga
    Taken short walks
    Painted pine cones
    Napped
    Made calls
    Sent emails
    Planned my birthday
    Ordered paints online too
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this thread, @Tammyjane33.  It sounds as though you have certainly been keeping very busy.  What kinds of tricks do you teach Bella?  I would love to teach my cat, Christy, tricks, although she is 7 now and maybe a bit too old for it, lol!  :smiley:

I have been keeping busy too as been doing a couple of courses online which I've now finished, one was an animal behaviour one for cats and dogs, the other a biblical one.  I have just started a now online course about Robert Burns which I'm enjoying.  I've also been making some cards for family and friends whenever it is someone's birthday, doing some knitting, some cooking, playing with Christy, enjoying time in the sun in the garden and doing some housework (the last one isn't so exciting, but needs must, lol!).  Oh and of course, the TV keeps me going at times too!  :wink:

I hope you are well.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • littlechef
    littlechef Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    @Ails
    Well it's my 58 th birthday this Saturday it's going to be a strong one with us being in lock down I can not see my family or my mother who is 85 yrs old it's just going to be me and my wife at least I can call them on the phone maybe Video chat to my boys .
    I will do my best to have a good day I know my wife will make it special for me .?
  • April2018mom
    What was the biblical course @Ails
  • April2018mom
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I made a sensory blanket for small children with sight impairments.

It has pieces of felt, cotton, a fluffy duck and ribbons.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A great list of things @Tammyjane33!

I've enjoyed reading books and doing crafts. I mainly crochet but I found an old felting kit which went surprisingly okay!
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Happy Birthday when it comes, @littlechef!  I hope you have a lovely day!

Hi @April2018mom, the biblical course I did was 5 weeks of videos depicting life in the Holy Land from Jesus' birth to the Last Supper with readings from the bible and questions each week.  It was really interesting and some beautiful scenes from the Holy Land.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    I enjoy listening to PremierChristianRadio. I simply love the discussions on there as well. Very interesting and makes you think. This is the website if anyone is interested in listening www.premierchristianradio.co.uk. 
    I also read a children’s version of the Bible to the children every night. As a family we participate in a online church service on Sunday mornings. Other than we have been mostly going out on walks, tracing our family history, learning about trees, painting pine cones, reading and praying. 

That is very sweet @pollyanna1052! You could donate that to Moorfields Eye Hospital perhaps? 
  • April2018mom
    What was the name of it though @Ails? I might enrol myself onto it in the future. Does anyone listen to this radio station or not? www.premierchristianradio.com

Brightness