How does technology help disabled people? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How does technology help disabled people?

hayden1
hayden1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2020 in Research and opportunities
Hello I am a student studying at Wolverhampton college and I am doing a project about how technology helps people who are disabled.

can anyone help me with the following questions

what technology do you use?

how does it help you?

can you please answer me before the 12th of may because I am on a deadline

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck with your research @hayden1

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What sort of technology do you mean @hayden1? My son uses a wheelchair, does that count or not? It helps him to remain independent as much as well when we go out. My advice is to make a survey using surveymonkey that way you can then paste the link on here. Good luck with your research. 
  • hayden1
    hayden1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Oh sorry I meant so IT technology example screen readers or hardware such as braille display's
  • donnap79
    donnap79 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    I’ve borrowed a few things off Essex county council to help my daughter as she has a one plan at school but they lend a lot of technology to help children there’s spelling boards and pen pal I think it’s called where u talk in to the pen and it records so it reminds you of your sentence so you can write it down a camera is also on the list as this helps children with auditory processing problems I think if you look on you tube there’s loads of videos of different types of things , I hope these ideas have tho 
  • adamskis
    adamskis Community member Posts: 67 Pioneering
    I use many forms of “technology” at different levels, and times.

my writhing is atrocious, so every communication is via some form of tech.
    i don’t drive so meetings tend to be FaceTime or zoom.

my memory is shot, so my iPhone, and Alex manage my life and lists

friend groups are on WhatsApp, and messenger.
    my home is run by Alexa and Google.
    i double up for redundancy, I dread losing control of light, heat, major appliances, and locks!

i monitor health through an Apple Watch and BP monitor, which I record in an app.

Personal transport is electric bike (fully electric, pedalling hurts), electric stand up scooter, and electric skateboard. 
    Longer/bad day is via bus, which I use various apps to co-ordinate/pay for.

i navigate with Waze, google maps and Apple maps. I download maps before setting off to conserve data.

I am constantly considering new methods for mechanisation and automation.

hope that helps, feel free to get in touch for back up data.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hayden1 I use a tablet and a phone with the speech to text function. This is for when I meet new people as I have hearing loss, and it takes me a while to adapt to new voices. Hope this helps :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Brightsidebecs
    Brightsidebecs Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Hi @hayden1 I use my iPad and phone with Siri enabled to help me write when my hands are tired. I use audible or kindle to read books as i find it hard to hold a book and read for a long period of time. I use Alexa to help me turn things on with the use of smart plugs etc.
    Rebecca 
  • adamskis
    I am so pleased to have this resource!

i don’t feel like the only useless person in the world...and hopefully we can all learn ways to cope more quickly!
  • Brightsidebecs
    You are not useless no one is! ? yeah we can and will get through this together ?
    Rebecca 
  • adamskis
    You are not useless no one is! ? yeah we can and will get through this together ?
    True, but some days it can be difficult not to feel like it!!
  • Brightsidebecs
    I get what you mean but believe in yourself more ?
    Rebecca 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.