What topics do you wish you were taught when you was a child? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What topics do you wish you were taught when you was a child?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I thought of a really good idea / topic that may be of interest so I get to know others and their view/opinions . What topic do you wish you were taught about when you was younger that would help you in adulthood?) I understand there are lots of difference in age in this community, I mean just in general. If you have children (I don't) what do you think your child should be taught that will help them understand things that are going on now or skills that will help them later on, in adult life that they should know but sadly even now young adults really struggle because they haven't had guidance or support or taught how to handle things such as budgeting their money. I wish I would have known more about mental health, signs of depression etc because these things can happen and children need to be prepared or at least have an idea what's going on! I hope everyone is well and I will be looking forward to your replies. 
Tammy ❤️

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    This is a really interesting idea.

I personally would have wanted to have been taught some of the basic life skills you mentioned - budgeting, financial planning, buying insurance etc. All the sorts of things I have to deal with every day but received essentially zero instruction on. If you aren't lucky enough to receive that education informally at home, you're bound to flounder through early adulthood.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    apart from how to manage money, I think that knowledge of how civil society works , like the justice,and law,,employment issues and contracts ,how companies work and the charity sector ,trade unions , local authority and central government ,and the monarchy, I suppose they call it citizenship nowadays    
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that we did have a lesson at school called "Life Skills" and most of the class found it patronising. It was obvious things like how to pay a bill, fill out a form, or how to choose a nutritious filling for a sandwich. Maybe it needed to be a bit more "advanced".

I would like to have been made to do a language at school, like you are made to do science, maths, English etc. In the end it is my own fault for not choosing one as an option, but that's what I would like to have done looking back. :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I would have enjoyed learning a craft like pottery at school just because it seems interesting and would be a nice, relaxing thing to do.  Also it would have helped if you got taught basic things such as how to pay bills, how to budget and manage money so it doesn't seem as daunting when you grow up and actually have to do these things!  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Aside from the life basics of budgeting and money that get's forgotten, disability awareness would have been an appreciated addition! Both for my peers and for myself.  
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Defiantly agree with everyone on the basic life skills, money budgeting etc.
    When I bought a house it was overwhelming, trying to understand mortgages and all the legal things, thank goodness for my mum! 

I also strongly agree with @Chloe_Scope - I do not have children yet but I have always said that I want to educate them on 'difference in the world' - cultures, celebrations, gender, disability and the list goes on! I feel nurseries/schools are doing a bit more of that these days, but not enough and it needs to be reinforced at home. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish we'd been taught how to deal with anxiety and 'emotions' in general...I feel that would've been far more useful than English Literature for many of us!  As well as learning about all the other MH issues people would be going through.  Looking back now, there were plenty of other kids in my school with very visible conditions that no-one ever spoke about and I certainly didn't understand back then.  Maybe we wouldn't have had the maturity at the time though?  

As a subject, I wish I'd been able to learn computer coding.  I did ICT for GCSE but it was just about using interfaces like Excel & Dreamweaver rather than the actual mechanics underneath.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ails - we were fortunate that our Art teacher had a passion for pottery, which she taught . We had a kiln in the art room!
    @LauraR_Scope - I remember my son learning about 'different' religions at school. I always found there are more things peoples' religion have in common, than differences. I always tried to convey this to my children, together with respect for peoples' religion, culture, disability, etc.
    I would have also liked to learn some basic DIY, rather than sewing!
  • Adrian_Scope
    I wish we'd been taught how to deal with anxiety and 'emotions' in general...I feel that would've been far more useful than English Literature for many of us!  As well as learning about all the other MH issues people would be going through.  Looking back now, there were plenty of other kids in my school with very visible conditions that no-one ever spoke about and I certainly didn't understand back then.  Maybe we wouldn't have had the maturity at the time though?  

As a subject, I wish I'd been able to learn computer coding.  I did ICT for GCSE but it was just about using interfaces like Excel & Dreamweaver rather than the actual mechanics underneath.
    I think teaching about emotions really depends on how they're taught. I know many would have treated them like a joke at school, but if you approach the subject with the appropriate maturity, I don't see why it couldn't have been done right.

I completely agree about coding. My dad was a programmer for many years (although managed to impart none of that knowledge!) so I already had a solid understanding of all the packages we used long before I was being taught ICT as a subject. But there was just no focus on 'how' anything worked, only that it did and its importance in an office setting. Ultimately learning to code is like learning to speak a language and it helps to do it when you're young!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
  • April2018mom
    Also spirituality
  • MADDOG666
    MADDOG666 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    My eldest son built his very first computer out of his 17th birthday money on his 17th birthday, with no help at all. That was 2006. No school training at that time really, he just watched and helped me to do it to create basic systems for donation to those in need. ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Some interesting things here! 
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    MADDOG666 said:
    My eldest son built his very first computer out of his 17th birthday money on his 17th birthday, with no help at all. That was 2006. No school training at that time really, he just watched and helped me to do it to create basic systems for donation to those in need. ?
    That's impressive! Has he carried on building them since? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,810 Disability Gamechanger
    As has been said basic life skills like paying bills, tax issues etc would have been helpfull, also first aid i also like the idea of sign language, good call 
  • Charles1234
    Charles1234 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Sex education would have helped, I went to an all boys school, and I learned from dirty jokes and making assumptions, not always accurate, I was to learn, to my cost.
    i went to work with completely the wrong attitude to women, I have the scars to prove it. 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,810 Disability Gamechanger
    sex ed was very minimal when i was in school, as you said lots of jokes and making it up as you went along, got there in the end, but i wish i had been more prepared
  • April2018mom
    My mom homeschooled me. She had grown quite dissatisfied with American schools in the area of Pennsylvania I lived at the time so instead I worked with her at lessons at home. I simply loved it. She taught me how to cook food properly and save lives too.
    I also learned about the importance of respecting other people in my English literature lessons as well at the tender age of ten. I even researched topics independently in subjects like art, geography and history etc as a teenager and also learned spelling rules and memorised words in unique original ways at only five years old.
    One of my year eight writing tasks was to write a mini essay on Christianity for her to read. I learned how to learn, not just a bunch of useless facts. Math questions were always based on numerous real life situations. All of my English lessons revolved around my interests. We explored sensitive and controversial topics which are not covered in lessons at schools like prison life, sewing, nutrition, problem solving, Chinese astrology, sex education, dark tourism, abuse and so on. I also learned about interesting topics like lacemaking and beekeeping as well as how to stay safe. 

This is lacking in mainstream schools I feel. A lot of time also was spent on developing my communication and research skills. I want to see important topics like first aid, problem solving and discussion skills taught in schools. 

Brightness