Waiting to find out whether I have PIP - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting to find out whether I have PIP

Comments

• sandyxxx
    sandyxxx Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    How do you do the self assessment ? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandyxxx - Most people will get a telephone based assessment, but some are done on paper, i.e. the assessor will just look at all the evidence you've sent instead, & send their report to the DWP.  This is the 'hand it back [without an assessment to the DWP]' they mentioned. Either way the DWP's Decision Maker usually goes with the assessor's report. You can ask the DWP for a copy of this about a week later, to see what points may be indicated.
    It is easy to over-mark yourself, so has limited value. @dynasty30 wisely marked herself down, & don't worry about finding better evidence later, it's that understanding of what they're looking for, & your own evidence that matters. :)

• sandyxxx
    Thanks I've been told to put in for pip as I have macular degeneration in my right eye I have been having injections in my eye but they haven't worked they are going to refere me to the visual impaired  but it keeps getting cancelled for the coronavirus I didn't have much evidence at the time I applied but I'm hoping they ask the hospital for more information 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandyxxx - I'm very sorry to read about your visual problems. Again, as I wrote about dynasty30, don't worry about any lack of medical evidence. It's unlikely the DWP will contact the hospital; they rarely do contact anyone. The onus is upon you to provide any medical evidence.
    To prepare you for your assessment, please have a look at the following link. See: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    It's similar to the PIP self-test, but if you look at the notes at the end, they may also prove helpful.
    When you get your (most likely) phone assessment, if you haven't said so in your initial claim form, try & give a couple of examples of the problems you have for each activity/descriptor that applies to you. What is difficult, why is it difficult, what happens when you attempt any of the activities or descriptors that are applicable to you, can you do it safely, or does it take longer for you than someone without your visual impairment, etc? It's your evidence as to how your functional ability is compromised that is the most important thing, not any diagnosis. Several people with the same problems as yourself might all be affected differently. It's your individual response, giving those details as to how your disability affects you that you need to get across. :)

• sandyxxx
    Ah thanks I'm new to all this benefits going on lol but what will be will be. I will give the self assessment a try  thanks again x
  • Toffee
    Toffee Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Hi all I did a change of circumstances on 20 of Feb I had a telephone assessment two weeks ago. I received a text the next day saying they have received my report. Rang a week ago and asked for the report to be sent out. Just waiting for decision now. 
  • jayne2110
    jayne2110 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi @Toffee hi received my assessment report in about a week from asking and from help on here was able to get great help of what I would get and it worked out excatly as I was told here. Hopefully you get good report 
  • Toffee
    Hi Jane that's great news and thank you 
  • sandyxxx
    Wish they would hurry up with mine they told me I would get a phone call off the assessor or a letter or the assessor would hand it back but haven't heard anything so frustrating 
  • Brumboy68
    Brumboy68 Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Hi I applied for pip on April 2 got a telephone assessment this Wednesday.  Should be interesting ..... They have all the paperwork ( I asked them to send it back as they were originals and j couldn't find anywhere to copy them) but typical DWP never did. I've tried the doctors twice and they have said they will post it but they haven't either. I wil! tryy
    again on Monday. There are lots of discharge notes from lots of hospital stays so just want to make sure I don't get my dates mixed up. Im hoping my uncontrolled tonic clinic epilepsy will get me the increased mobility part of pip. 

• sandyxxx
    I applied in February haven't heard anything except a text in march to day they received my form back and might need a assessment it's a nightmare waiting 
  • Brumboy68
    I had a text back two days after sending form back
  • sandyxxx
    10 days after I sent mine back I got the text haven't heard anything since I phoned a fortnight ago and said it was with the assessor and they would either phone me or write to me or hand it back over still waiting 3 month later 
  • Brumboy68
    Thats bonkers. You shouldn't have to wait that long.  I wish the face to face was still on I have loads of paperwork . I've been in hospital for three out of the last twelve months. I suffer from uncontrolled epilepsy and can have a seizure anywhere at anytime I just collapse .  One of the times I was going to the local shop never made it hit the deck , luckily the doctors was opposite so she came out and looked after me as I had gone into status epilepticus which can be really dangerous fortunately paramedics arrived. So I'm hoping input from to should help too.i think it's easier to talk to a face rather than down a phone line. What do you think
  • sandyxxx
    I agree with you face to face you can see if they are taking notice of what your saying. I'm sorry for your illness I don't think you should have any difficulty getting the higher rate of care and mobility. I'm going to phone them again on Monday hopefully I will get through this time I tried on Friday was on hold for over a hour then the phone cut off wasn't happy lol 
  • Toffee
    Good luck all of u 
  • sandyxxx
    Thanks toffee I think all this waiting around with no communication they are just going to refuse my claim x
  • Brumboy68
    I don't think I will get the care part. I think I'm entitled to the mobility part more. I'm sure if you get through to them they ought to get your case moving . I can't believe it is taking this long. 
  • sandyxxx
    Thanks for the link but they should tell you this when you phone I asked if it was put aside for the people claiming the UC but he said no it was with the assessor and they would get in touch with me in a few days that was a fortnight ago. I will see what they say on Monday

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.