Disability and adjustments application questions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability and adjustments application questions

Tony123456789
Tony123456789 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2020 in Work and employment
Hi everyone, hope your all keeping safe, adhering to the safeguarding in place and being supported as best as possible.

My question to everyone.

I was medically retired after 26 years from an organisation with a total of 7 degenerative discs and a completely worn elbow joint. After years of pain killers and all the other meds that comes with it, plus 3 nerve blocks and multiple facet injections. After nearly two years getting my life back together i have taken up employment but mainly administration type roles. I went through the PIP process in the final months of medically retiring and receive the minimum amounts of benefits. I have never identified myself as disabled even though i claim PIP and never consider disability adjustments etc.

The i did have a job before my contract was cut short due to Covid19 so i am constantly applying. Some jobs i'm looking at ask the questions;

Do you have a disability (as defined by the Equality Act 2010)?
As a Disability Confident employer, we will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.

If you have a disability (as defined by the Equality Act 2010), do you wish to be considered for an Offer Of an Interview (OOI)?
Please note that the Offer Of an Interview is available to disabled candidates only. Regrettably, any false declaration of disability in order to secure an interview will impact on your overall application.

These questions are under the OFFER OF INTERVIEW (OOI)

I have never been in this situation before. Please can anyone help with advice.

Kind regards
Tony

Comments

• Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello 

There is some helpful guidance as to what counts as a disability under the Equality Act on the government website and some examples.

As you claim PIP I suspect you qualify as having a permanent inpairment but whether that is good ( as it qualifies you for an automatic interview ) probably depends on the organisation you are applying for a job with.

I applied for a job a while ago and did not tick the disability box as I only have mild CP and use a crutch but thought it too mild to count . The interviewer thought I should have ticked the disability box and I was offered the job even though I was confident that I had failed the writing test as I find that difficult.

I thought I was only offered the job because of the disability stats that big organisations need to fill ( this was a local authority). In the end I did not take the job as there was far more travel than the advert had said and I find that difficult.

So, I guess you may find it a positive to tick the box depending on the nature of the employer and I can’t see that anyone could say you were wrong to do so because of your PIP claim.

Hope that helps . I eventually ended up working from home . Hope you get fixed up.
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Tony123456789
    Tony123456789 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Reg, Yes I was feeling the same as I’m filling in the application form that if i were ticking the boxes then I’m not getting an interview on my own merits so to speak. They have been civil service jobs and I know they promote they are disability confident etc. But it feels right to not tick these boxes as I manage my conditions very well, just takes a little longer and more guarded to do some activities. 

But thank you for your advice . 
  • Morgane_Scope
    Morgane_Scope Scope Posts: 4 Connected
    Thanks Reg, Yes I was feeling the same as I’m filling in the application form that if i were ticking the boxes then I’m not getting an interview on my own merits so to speak. They have been civil service jobs and I know they promote they are disability confident etc. But it feels right to not tick these boxes as I manage my conditions very well, just takes a little longer and more guarded to do some activities. 

But thank you for your advice . 
    Hi @Tony123456789

I would say it's up to you to tick the box or not - ticking the box does not mean you will automatically get an interview.

Only people who meet the essential criteria required in the application will be considered for interviews. 

So if you apply and tick the disability box you can be sure you will get the interview on your own merits. 

I would see more  the OOI as a way to avoid discrimination towards disabled applicants.

Also, even if you manage your condition very well it might be a good idea to tick the box/disclose your disability especially if you might benefit from adjustments to do the role. 

Hope that helps, 

Morgane 

Morgane Ansquer - Scope Employment Service Team Leader 
  • EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    Hi @Tony123456789
    like the other's have said, you need to decide if you feel your disability fits into the definition which is

A physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. 

From what you have said about how you are affected it does sound like you would benefit from adjustments in the workplace to make things comfortable and less likely to make your impairments more painful than they already are.  If you tick the box, then you are guaranteed an interview.if you meet the essential criteria... then if you get the job ensure you have a full assessment of your workspace (even if that is working from home).

You can also look at the access to work information https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/access-to-work-grant-scheme/  some of the people i share the office with have benefited from this, but should be done in first 6 weeks of employment to qualify.

good luck with the job hunting
    Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues

Brightness