Supermarket discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supermarket discrimination

kelly1980
kelly1980 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I’m looking for some advice with disability discrimination please 
Tagged:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @kelly1980 and welcome to the community. Would you be able to give us some more information?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @kelly1980
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Welcome to the community @kelly1980
    Hope you are well

Can you tell us a bit more so we can advice you best 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kelly1980 - Welcome to the community. Is the discrimination in the workplace, or elsewhere?
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kelly1980 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  If you could please let us know more about the situation then we will be better placed to help you.  We look forward to hearing from you.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • kelly1980
    Hi my situation is a weird one I suppose I went to go shopping with my 16 year old daughter at Aldi when they went to stop my daughter coming in with unless she was 2 metres in front of me so I explained I had epilepsy and needed my daughter with me has I drop with no notice the worker on the door asked me for proof of my disability I asked him like what he said documents I went to show him on my phone my medical records but my battery went dead he went on to call me a liar I got upset and left but since I felt like I was treated Bad and tried to reach out to there customer services with no help so that’s my story so it’s long just wanted to see if I could get some advice on what to do 
  • Ails
    Thank you for getting back to us, @kelly1980.  I'm sorry to hear that you have gone through this awful situation at Aldi as that is a terrible way to treat a customer and I can understand why you are so upset.  No customer should have to be spoken to or treated like that.  If it was me, I would write to Aldi's head office to explain what has happened and to ask them to look into this further.  I'm sure you will find their contact details on the internet.  Please let us know if you decide to do this and how you get on anyway.  Good luck!  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just get in touch.  All the best.  :smile:
  • kelly1980
    I got in touch with there head office who wasn’t happy that I had got hold of their number said that customer services should deal with it they also promised to call me back and heard nothing ?
  • Ails
    Hi @kelly1980 and thanks for the update.  Really sorry to hear that Aldi's head office couldn't help you and that is unfortunate if they didn't like you contacting them as customers should be able to contact companies head offices and complain if they are not satisfied with their services.  It is terrible that customer services have not called you back about this when they told you that they would.  The only other thing I can think of is that you contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for further advice if you feel you are getting nowhere with Aldi.  It is quite unfair that they have treated you in this way.  If I can think of anything else I will post on here, but maybe other members may be able to come up with something also.  Please let us know how you are getting on with this and good luck!  :smile:
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry you experienced this @kelly1980 and that the complaint hadn't been acknowledged! Have you been able to access food?
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

A dad-of-five was reportedly told he should 'stay away' from a supermarket after he had an epileptic fit. Calvin Hampshire, 30, alleges he heard a supermarket worker at Heron Foods say 'I'm not being funny, but people like that shouldn't be out in shops'. The dad from Bransholme, Yorkshire, claims the staff member said 'other customers shouldn't have to see him like that'. Mr Hampshire suffered an epileptic fit inside Heron Foods at North Point Shopping Centre on Tuesday morning. However, he told Hull Live a shop assistant said he should not return because the incident "upset customers." Mr Hampshire says it left him feeling "devastated" and "disgusted".

Source: Daily Mirror

Community Manager
    Scope
  • kelly1980
    Yes I went somewhere else and it’s unfortunate that people with epilepsy are treated like rubbish if I was In a wheelchair there’s no way I would of been treated like that ? and customer services called me yesterday saying that they are just following rules because so many people are lieing to get to the front of the cue that staff don’t know how to believe! Well I’m sorry there a people out there like that but I’m not one of them and shouldn’t be punished for the likes of those people I’ve struggled 20 years with this illness and looks like I will carry on struggling with people making assumptions 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    A wheelchair would be visual proof of a disability though.  I don't see anything wrong with supermarket staff asking for proof of a hidden disability, that seems like a reasonable policy to me.  People would exploit the system otherwise.  NHS staff are having to show their NHS ID to make use of their priority hour at Sainsburys for example.

The only problem I can see here is how you were treated by that one staff member if they were unprofessional and called you a liar rather than simply explaining the policy.
  • josh72ebp
    josh72ebp Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi the only information I know is if you do have proof go back and ask to speak to the manager. They have to get them. Then inform you have been discriminated against for your disability and show them the information. They should apologise. You should be able to demand compensation to as discrimination is agents the law last I checked. But I do agree with some of the above citizen advice would be a great step if they are like that.

Brightness