Transfer from DLA to PIP (mental health) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transfer from DLA to PIP (mental health)

Options
northernghirl
northernghirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, 

first post here but have been reading for a while.  I had to eventually make the dreaded migration from DLA to PIP and it was a long and stressful wait for their decision. For 9 years I have been receiving the high rate of care and standard rate of mobility and was so anxious they were going to cut it.  

Today, I finally got my decision and I nearly fell off my chair!  Enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility!  I’m so shocked they actually put my money up! Woop woop!

When I finally calmed down from the excitement and shock, however, I was confused about part of the letter and wondered if you could help.

My next DLA payment was due to be paid on 2nd June.  The letter from PIP says 

“We will pay £497.46 into your usual account on 26 June 2020.  This is money that we owe you from 3rd June to 25th June.  We will then pay your benefit into your account every 4 weeks in arrears”

it then goes on to say 

“This means your DLA will end on 2nd June.  This is because by law we can only start to pay you 4 weeks  after this decision has been made”.

I’m probably being dumb even asking but will I still get my expected DLA payment on 2nd June?  I’m so confused haha

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• northernghirl
    northernghirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I also just received a letter from ESA saying my award is being reduced from £197.60 per week to £130.65 per week and state

”this is because of: a change in money coming in”.

Jeezo, they don’t half know how to stress someone out.  Yesterday I was excited with my PIP award but with my letter from ESA today it seems that because PIP have increased my award, ESA are going to cut my award by almost the exact amount I will be gaining from the increase in the PIP award! 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know why they write these letters in riddles lol.  I've had a few recently that don't make much sense either!  You should still get the final DLA payment on the 2nd though. 

PIP income shouldn't affect your ESA and it's excluded from the benefit cap so I'm not sure what's happened there.  Have they put it down as 'earned' income as if you were working maybe?  Or have they removed your SDP looking at the £66 reduction?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @northernghirl and welcome to the community. :)
    Congratulations on your PIP award. I agree with @OverlyAnxious, I'd read this to mean you'll receive your 2nd June payment. 
    With regards to your ESA, it may be that they received notification of your DLA ending so stopped your SDP without being aware you're now receiving PIP. It's worth you getting in touch with them to find out exactly why it's been lowered and to clarify you're now in receipt of PIP instead. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.