Real struggle at the moment with 13 year old son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Real struggle at the moment with 13 year old son

Juliesidmouth
Juliesidmouth Community member Posts: 4 Listener
HI Im julie i have a 13 year son Joe with Apd and i'm pretty sure spd.  its a really struggle at the moment he is like a pressure cooker waiting to blow at any moment.  just needed to share. 

Comments

• KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hello @Juliesidmouth welcome to the online community.

I am sorry to hear you are having a challenging time at the moment. On the main Scope website we have a number of family services still working during Lockdown, and supporting parents and families if you feel you would like further help, or a listening ear. 

https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juliesidmouth Welcome to the community, I too have a 13 year old son and as a single parent understand how challenging this can be as it is a significant time in their lives when they are growing up. My son does not have any disabilities however I am the disabled one. Home schooling has been a real challenge, how are you coping with it ? Hope you are coping always here to chat if you want 
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @Juliesidmouth welcome to the community. I’m so sorry to hear your struggling at the moment, I’m going to tag @Chloe_Scope to see if the Scope team can help. Please let me know if you need anything else or have any questions. We’re all here if you need us.
  • Juliesidmouth
    Thank you that would be lovely.  Thank you 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Juliesidmouth and welcome to the forum. Have you contacted the National Autistic Society or not? I recommend also taking a look at the information on the website in addition. The society should also be able to answer your questions properly. They can even offer you some emotional guidance and provide practical support on top of that. You may wish to email or call them (contact information can be found on the site). 
    Here is their site- https://www.autism.org.uk/. There is a lot of good information on there about autism in general worth reading. You are in my daily prayers as well. Ask your family doctor about a urgent referral to a autism expert too in case. Best of wishes! I hope that this is useful to you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juliesidmouth, it sounds like things are on eggshells at the moment. Just wanted to check in to see how things are going. :)
    Scope

• Juliesidmouth
    HI yes they have been thats for sure.  I had a chat with his year head last week and he only has to do the 3 core subjects now so thats a big relieve. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juliesidmouth, I am glad the school are helping and lowering the workload. I hope this allows things to not be as tense.
    Scope

• EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    Hi @Juliesidmouth
    Its really tough home schooling these teens isn't it, my 3 have gone nocturnal! It sounds like your a really caring mum who's on his side but who's looking after you?? you may benefit from our navigate  service if you're seeking further diagnosis you could be eligible.

take a look - nothing to lose :)

Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues
  • Juliesidmouth
    HI  It certainly is. I have had the 6 week course it was fab so sadly i cant have anymore. 
    Thank you ;-) 
  • EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    HI  It certainly is. I have had the 6 week course it was fab so sadly i cant have anymore. 
    Thank you ;-) 
    Ahh glad they have been some help, Our parents connect service are running some training that may be of interest and we have two recorded workshops on youtube about managing positive behaviour, and another on understanding sensory behaviour during lockdown you may find useful. They both last about an hour.

Do let us know how you're getting on
    Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues

Brightness