Cornonavirus Shielding — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cornonavirus Shielding

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Hi, not sure what category this should go into.

Im shielding which is supposed to end in around 6 weeks. Having food parcels delivered every week.

Anyone else currently shielding?

Any thoughts on what lies ahead for us folk?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• androgynous
    androgynous Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
    edited May 2020
    Hi,

Even more shielding, I'm afraid.

I've just received another letter today, and i know others who have and said the shielding time is being extended?

The Chief Medical Officer said -  "There is this particularly vulnerable group, around 1.5 million … who we are very keen to have the absolute minimum contact possible for quite a long period of time.”

The letter says to stay at home, do not leave your home, do not pass go, do not collect £100.

Seriously, the letter does say don't have any face to face contact, do not leave your home etc, for another 12 weeks from the letter, (5th May,) which now takes me in particular, in to August.

I've already been shielding for 8 or 9 weeks, (I've lost track of time). I've missed my birthday last week, family birthdays and public holidays. 

I had a bad week last week when the depression set in, (due to it being my non birthday,) but i've also been in bed for over a week now, due to CV19 symptoms, which goes to show as long as you have products i.e. food, coming in to your home, you are still at risk. I'm very meticulous about disinfecting everything which then goes in to quarantine for as long as possible, before the product is used.

It sounds extreme? but these are the lengths i've had to go to, to protect myself and the NHS.

I'm still waiting to see if i take a rapid downhill turn.

I'm fortunate i'm one of the 300,000 people out of 1.5 milion people the government were supposed to be helping with priority delivery slots so i have a weekly delivery slot with a supermarket guaranteed until October and i shall make use of it as long as it is provided as going to a supermarket, in my opinion, poses the greatest risk.

At the end of it all, It is entirely your choice whether you follow guidelines or not but i'm fully expecting this to continue for this year and next year as well. It depends when i get to the point where i feel there is no point in staying alive if you have no quality of life living in total isolation?
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @androgynous, sorry to hear you are feeling so depressed at the moment.  Lock-down is a very difficult time for us all to be going through and I'm so sorry to hear that you have missed your birthday and that of your family's too.  I hope that you are beginning to get over the Covid 19 syptoms now and are feeling a bit better.  I know life seems impossible at the moment, but we will get through this and hopefully the lock-down will start to ease up soon.  Glad to hear that you are receiving your supermarket delivery orders all through this.  

We are here to support you on the Community should you need us so please feel free to chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to listen.  You are not alone.  Please take care and keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tcellmutation, hope you are getting on ok whilst shielding.  Glad to hear you are receiving food parcel deliveries.  If we can be of any help/support to you all through this then please just let us know.  Please stay safe and well.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • tcellmutation
    Ails said:
    Hi @tcellmutation, hope you are getting on ok whilst shielding.  Glad to hear you are receiving food parcel deliveries.  If we can be of any help/support to you all through this then please just let us know.  Please stay safe and well.  All the best.  :smile:
    Thanks! 

To be honest I’m fine. Before this I was kind of isolated anyway. My choice, I’m happy tho. I see family and friends just don’t go out a lot.

It'll be interesting to watch this all unfold. I’ve had 5 letters to tell me to stay at home now. Literally 5! Got lots of conditions.

The food parcels aren’t great (for me) as I also have diabetes :lol: so trying to see if that can be altered.

Not dead yet. Lots to look forward to. Just a blip in time 
  • androgynous
    edited May 2020
    Thanks! 

To be honest I’m fine. Before this I was kind of isolated anyway. My choice, I’m happy tho. I see family and friends just don’t go out a lot.

It'll be interesting to watch this all unfold. I’ve had 5 letters to tell me to stay at home now. Literally 5! Got lots of conditions.

The food parcels aren’t great (for me) as I also have diabetes :lol: so trying to see if that can be altered.

Not dead yet. Lots to look forward to. Just a blip in time 
    I had some food parcels before i got the priority delivery slot and whilst i was eternally grateful, I also have diabetes and other conditions which necessitate me following a careful diet which isn't easy on pasta, for instance. I'm now able to do a 'normal' shop, i.e. buy products i would normally buy. In fact, I'm now eating more healthily in shielding, eating lots of salads and fruit, (which you can have, in moderation and not at one time). It's good to be able to access fresh food. I try to avoid eating proccessed food as it's usually high in fats, salt and sugar. I use the traffic light system and always check products before I buy in supermarkets. Now I mainly know what to buy and not what to buy. It's been a task, checking the ingredients etc online from a supermarket I don't normally use, only because there isn't one in the area, but they have been brilliant.

There are also various local schemes were you can get a volunteer to do a shop for you, too.

Age Uk have been supporting vulnerable people locally.

You maybe received more information in the other letters you received? It's worth checking out, there are Coronavirus Isolation Support Groups online, too.

• androgynous
    Ails said:
    Hi @androgynous, sorry to hear you are feeling so depressed at the moment.  Lock-down is a very difficult time for us all to be going through and I'm so sorry to hear that you have missed your birthday and that of your family's too.  I hope that you are beginning to get over the Covid 19 syptoms now and are feeling a bit better.  I know life seems impossible at the moment, but we will get through this and hopefully the lock-down will start to ease up soon.  Glad to hear that you are receiving your supermarket delivery orders all through this.  

We are here to support you on the Community should you need us so please feel free to chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to listen.  You are not alone.  Please take care and keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:

Thankyou for your kind words, I appreciate it. You tend to zone in to your own problems and forget everyone has their own challenges at the moment? I could be worse off, I could be on the frontline, working for the NHS?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tcellmutation, how are you finding lockdown?
    Scope

• tcellmutation
    edited May 2020
    Not had a great few days, watching too much news and had quite a few high sugar high days but back to normal self now.

Hope you’re all keeping well. As well as you can.

Matt

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tcellmutation, I know the news can be really full on at the moment! It can be hard to get away from it.

Glad you are doing okay after the high sugar days.

Do you have anything to keep preoccupied with? I've started reading books whenever the news gets put on! 
    Scope

• tcellmutation
    Hi @tcellmutation, I know the news can be really full on at the moment! It can be hard to get away from it.

Do you have anything to keep preoccupied with? I've started reading books whenever the news gets put on! 
    Reading some interesting articles at the moment 

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/peace-happiness/deal-with-isolation/

Then I’ve been watching some shows on Netflix.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Any recommendations from Netflix @tcellmutation?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • tcellmutation
    edited May 2020
    Ozark was pretty good and also Reckoning. (Both Series)
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I am beginning to think I should have isolated myself. I am not really very vulnerable but I have ME and ever since I had the virus in March I have been having relapses. Some days I feel really wiped out and even if I don't feel too bad there is always something that doesn't feel right. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Have you spoken to your GP about this @deb74 and the effect it might have had?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    Hi @Adrian_Scope. I don't think there is much point talking to my doctor. When I went to see him in January about some new symptoms of my ME he basically said what do you expect me to do about it. I have had much worse symptoms that I am having at the minute. It will calm down eventually!
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's always a helpful response @deb74! I hope you start to feel better soon.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    Hi @Adrian_Scope. I suppose there isn't anything the doctor can do about it really.
  • tcellmutation

Hey! Did you read anything on the site I referred to?

Brightness