Looking to start claiming PIP has anyone else had a successful claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking to start claiming PIP has anyone else had a successful claim?

LeeRobinson1977
LeeRobinson1977 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi people I’m new here Im on medication for Psychotic behaviour Bi polar disorder Officially I’ve been diagnosed with bipolar after 2 years I’m looking to start claiming PIP had anyone else had a successful claim. 

Comments

• Brightsidebecs
    Brightsidebecs Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Welcome @LeeRobinson1977 fantastic to have you join this wonderful community. I’m one of the community champions here. Here to help you with any advice or support. So dont hesitate to ask! I personally have PIP but due to having Cerebral Palsy. Good luck with your claim if you need any advice or support all you have to do is ask :)
    Rebecca 
  • LeeRobinson1977
    I previously applied and scored zero points when I was working with mind but that was 2018 & previously got sacked from my job in around June from falling asleep at work due to my medication increase I’ve been on esa support group since I passed that interview but I’m now looking into applying for PIP again. 
  • Brightsidebecs
    That sounds awful, sorry to hear that good luck with PIP ? 
    Rebecca 
  • LeeRobinson1977
    edited May 2020
  • LeeRobinson1977
    Will my bi polar medication increase I couldn’t stay awake no matter how hard I tried even though I told this to my mental health workers before this happened but still kept me on the increased dose resulting in my dismissal ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited May 2020
    Hello @LeeRobinson1977. I've edited your image to remove the personal details of the company you worked for and the name of the person who wrote the letter as we do not allow this identifying information on the community.

People can and do claim PIP with Bipolar but it's important to remember that it's not about your diagnosis, but how your conditions affect you. 
    It may be worth you looking into getting some support with your application and completing the forms. A good place to start would be with https://advicelocal.uk/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • LeeRobinson1977
    Thanks Adrian !
  • Brightsidebecs
    Sorry I’ve been doing other things and thought I’d replied to this! Glad @Adrian_Scope has seen this and helped. Good luck and keep us updated if you feel it’s something you want to do. ?
    Rebecca 
  • daisy80
    daisy80 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    It's a shame as really they should of helped by putting in reasonable adjustments at work to help you. I have a case worker at Access to Work Mental Health Support Services and she has been so much help. I hope your pip claim goes ok. I applied in Dec 2019 had my tel assessment last week and just waiting for my decision. 
  • LeeRobinson1977
    Yes obviously it affects my day to day health I don’t sleep maybe 3 hours then falling to sleep in day can’t stand bright lights noise or smells all my sensors are hightened they think I’ve also some kind of autism & i don’t like being in crowds of people I tend to be on my own apart from family visiting & 100% couldn’t cope with another job I tried 5 different ones after getting made redundant while also on 7 different antidepressants before my official diagnosis I get stressed real easy. 
  • LeeRobinson1977
    Sorry Adrian I’ve no editing tools or would have done the same thank you. 
  • LeeRobinson1977
    After speaking with MIND I’ve just rang the PIP line up & put a claim in mentioned my psychiatrist and doctor to back up my condition She wasn’t very helpful but will send me the forms out I’ll update in future
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Best of luck @LeeRobinson1977. When the form arrives and you're filling it out, remember it's not about your diagnosis but your ability to carry out the activities in the PIP descriptors. Try and include some anecdotal evidence of what happened the last time you tried an activity etc.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • LeeRobinson1977
    Thanks Adrian yes I know that I applied before but 4 depression before I got diagnosed with Bipolar and psychotic behaviour and I canNow explain situations that’s happened to me for example I don’t like getting in the shower because the water hurts my head every drop feels like a needle poking into my skin and also even just get it out and putting my feet on the cold floor tiles hurts my feet & makes me feel sick all my sensors are heightened they think I’ve also got a form of autism lights too bright noises too loud smells over powering I can’t stand washing powder eg on clothes I can’t touch wet clothes my family does my washing. Some days I can’t get up & when I do I’m physically sick thinking about starting the day some days I feel great ? too I only sleep maybe 4 hours a night & them I’m falling asleep through the day. I’m constantly paranoid also because I worked in a bakery & left & wanted to return I then couldn’t stand to touch bread ? or crumbs falling onto the worktops etc. So stopped making sandwiches ? & felt sick when I saw a Warbutons advert or lorry etc. May sound stupid to some but it’s real to me. I don’t eat all day they eat two days worth of food the next till I’m sick etc 
  • LeeRobinson1977
    Plus when manic I took £5,000 loan £3000 visa £4000 store card & spent all of this gambling ? on horses. 
    I just got hold of as much money as possible to feed my addiction till it all went. Now owing thousands out I get scared when a letter drops through the door or the phone rings with a number i don’t know & cant face opening them. Or ringing the banks even though my mental health worker asks me to in out sessions. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Somewhere in the region of 1.9 million people currently claim and receive PIP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.