How do I get a helper during lockdown? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a helper during lockdown?

Stickman
Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
I would like to know how do I get help during lockdown and social distancing?  I have a disability that affects my balance and need support getting around. 
Tagged:

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    That's a very good question.  To my knowledge an awful lot of people are having to go without help or rely on family or even move back in with parents at the moment.  Many of us have the budget for help but either cannot find people or are very wary of people coming in and out of the house.  Disabled or elderly people and their UNPAID carers have been largely forgotten in the current pandemic and I dread to think what the short and long term consequences will be.
    However if you need help you have a right to contact your local Social Services and ask for an assessment or if you've already been assessed as eligible for support then there are guidelines in place for helpers/carers working in people's homes.  You will probably have to "shout" quite loudly, and make sure that any helpers have and use appropriate PPE.  Good luck
  • Stickman
    edited May 2020
    I have emailed the Disability Resource Centre about this, maybe they can help or point me in the right direction.  I do hope this lockdown will end soon, as well as social distancing.  I think it will last until at least December.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Contact social services on Monday. The Disability Resource Centre might also help as well. Keep us updated! 
  • Stickman
    edited May 2020
    Hi April2018mom

I contacted The DRC, got a call from a volunteer who gave me their mobile number and to give them a call when I need them, they may also be phoning me on a weekly basis.

Lockdown will be eased from Monday but still have social distancing, which is, sadly, is of no use to me!

Thankfully, Sainsburys delivery slots seem to be getting back to normal.

Brightness