0 points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

0 points

Patchett
Patchett Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi thank you for accepting me in to the group ? I have a, question and I'm deeply upset. I had a medical assessment over the phone on 01/05/2020 for change of circumstances has I have FM I was currently getting low rate for care has I have depression my claim got delt with on the 13/05/2020 and they've stopped all my money I've scored 0 points for everything when I need help in the shower etc. This as made me so upset what can I do

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hi, @Patchett welcome to the community. I’m sorry to hear of your difficulties.  I’m going to tag @Adrian_Scope to see if he can assist you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Patchett Welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your claim.

I would suggest you look at the report and see where you think you should have scored points against the descriptors I'm afraid just needing help in the shower wouldn't score you many points.

However if you feel other areas should have scored then the next step is to request a mandatory reconsideration, explain where you think you should have scored points and why, how do you manage the task etc what aids you need, what happened last time you did the task.

Unfortunately not many MR change the decision so after this the next stage would be a tribunal appeal.

All of this should be detailed in your letter 

Good luck if you decide to appeal the decision and if you need any further support don't hesitate to get back to us 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Patchett - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read how understandably your PIP decision has upset you. If I may try to add a little as to what has been said above; PIP isn't about any diagnoses, but how your disability affects you. The PIP review form is shorter, but it should be filled in with as much detail as your initial claim. This may be where the problem lies, in that you may not have given real- life examples as to the difficulties you face. This could now be detailed with a Mandatory Reconsideration.
    You may not have seen a list of the activities, or 'descriptors,' so I'll add a link just in case. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    For each applicable descriptor, give a couple of recent examples as to the difficulty you faced attempting the activity. This should be why it was difficult, did it cause pain, if so where, did it exhaust you during/after the activity? Can you do it safely, repeat it as often as you'd like, does it take you longer than someone without your disorders, do you need help, even if you don't get that help, do you need motivation from someone else, etc?
    If you have any questions, please let us know, as there's usually someone here who will try & help. We are all here to support you as much as we can. Please do keep in touch & chat here any time. :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Patchett,

Have you thought about challenging the decision?
    You have 1 calendar month from the date on your decision letter to ask the DWP to reconsider their decision.
    You can either send a completed mandatory reconsideration request form (GOV.UK), or write a letter telling them why you disagree with their decision.

The success rate of a mandatory reconsideration (MR) is quite low, so you may well need to take the appeal to the next stage. You can find some more information about this on our website at Challenging a decision about PIP or other benefits.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Patchett
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Thank you for replying back to me I will do this thank you
  • Patchett
    Good afternoon @chiarieds thank you for replying back and sending me the link. I honestly don't know why I scored 0 on everything when I told the medical advisor that I can't lift pots and pans I drop things so don't cook. I can't make the stairs I need help in the shower and dressing and undressing. I rely on others to do things etc it's just baffled me how I've gone from receiving something to absolutely nothing. The medical accessor read back my report so just don't know why I scored 0. I can't even take out my own medication due to pain in my fingers and I also explained this. It's really upset me ? it seems like no one was listening 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Patchett, sorry to hear the outcome of your assessment, I’m currently waiting on word back from my MR but probably be going the whole way with appeal. I was upset at start but just need to carry on please don’t give up and hopefully you’ll get what you are due, hope your ok take care. 
  • Patchett
    Good morning @Lou67
    I wish you all the best of luck with your MR. Thank you for the kind words. I had another sleepless night again but today is a new day and my MP is writing me a letter to send in. Good luck with your MR take care
  • Lou67
    Morning @ Patchett . Sorry to hear you didn’t sleep much, I wish these people that made the decision about our benefits could spend a day with us and really see how we live, if only lol but good on you it’s a new day and let’s hope a better one, take care.
  • Patchett
    Good evening @Lou67
    Exactly what I said lol ? spend a, say with us. Today as been a better day day. Hope you're okay take care ?
  • Lou67
    Hi @ Patchett I’m glad youv had a better day, I’m fine thanks ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.