Contacted MP regarding mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contacted MP regarding mandatory reconsideration

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
Hi everyone I’ve just joined this forum however I’ve been reading posts on here for months while going through my horrific PIP experience.

ill try not to make this too long but I applied for pip via telephone September last year. I have borderline personality disorder, anxiety with depression and bulimia. 
I also suffer with acute asthma and have severe allergies.

I had an assessment in February this year with independent assessment services  (Atos). The assessment lasted 8 minutes was very brief but the horror didn’t start till I requested the report. Firstly the assessor lied about how long we were in there and said we were in there 45 minutes! The whole report was lies it didn’t put any relevant information I stated and it also said the only evidence they’ve taken in to account was the how my disability affects me form. They made no attempt to contact any of my health professionals.

the most disturbing thing in the report is the accessor noted ‘claimant seems of average build so it would suggest she doesn’t suffer from an eating disorder’. Not that it matters but I am 5’8 and 9 stone! But bulimia has nothing to do with weight. I’ve suffered for 10 years been hospitalised and to be told by an occupational therapist that I was essentially not underweight enough to have an eating disorder. It broke me to say the least. 

Gathering from the report I knew I’d score 0 points across the board. Lo and behold 2 weeks later I got the report. 0 points. By this point I’d already complained about my acessor but had no response and then eventually got one just saying I must be lying. I filed a mandatory reconsideration via phone and followed up with as much evidence as I could get. I got a letter from my doctor, hospital admissions, letters when I was sectioned, reports from community care, statement from my Carer even letters from when I was in school. I also sent in my report from my UC assesment placing me in the LCWRA group. My actual letter stating my reasons was 6 pages long & I put in as much detail as I could explaining why I deserved all the points I thought I was entitled to and gave as clear examples as possible. I also noted I was effected by each descriptor on a daily basis. I was told I should hear in around 10-13 weeks. (Currently on week 5).

Back to present day I decided to write a letter to my MP while I’m waiting on my MR. I sent it yesterday & he responded that evening saying he’d speak to his contacts in the dwp & try speed up the process. He forwarded me an email this morning from a customer experience manager at dwp saying she’d look in to the concerns my MP raised and get back to him in 15 working days. I don’t really know how much influence that could have on the decision maker for my PIP.

I’m just doing everything I can to try secure it at this stage because I don’t know if I can mentally cope with months maybe years more or this and a tribunal. 

Has anyone else got experiences with their MPs and what they have done to help them and the outcome? 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jessica9876 and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here. :)

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a struggle to get PIP and that it has impacted your mental health as a result.

Do you have enough support around you at the moment? I know the lockdown can be isolating.

I hope you hear back soon.
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    @Chloe_Scope thank you for the warm welcome Chloe. I am lucky I have my Mother as a full-time carer. I'm trying to keep myself as busy as possible. I will keep you all updated if I hear something else. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I wrote to two MPs after failing the assessment and never got a reply from either...both work in the health sector too!  

It sounds like yours is much more willing to help though, so that's a good sign. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    @OverlyAnxious I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm hoping things got sorted for you in the end.

I'm hoping so I suppose even a letter that says my MP is supporting me can help. Every bit counts at this stage!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm hoping things got sorted for you in the end.

I'm hoping so I suppose even a letter that says my MP is supporting me can help. Every bit counts at this stage!
    Thanks, yeah I finally had the tribunal hearing a couple of weeks ago.  Took around 12 months from the initial application.  

0 points on the initial decision, 0 on the MR, then 14 points at tribunal!  So even if the MR doesn't go your way, it's still worth continuing with the process.
  • griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    edited May 2020
    @OverlyAnxious wow that's brilliant news.  My daughter had 0 on assessment and 6 on MR so I've appealed .  
    @jessica9876. My daughter was very distressed by their reasoning for turning her down at both original decision and now MR .  They acknowledged she has OCD as we evidenced it but say it doesn't affect her because she understands her condition, is intelligent (has a degree) and is holding down a job.  She had to leave a previous job due to pressure on her about her MH and has only been in new job since January which is public sector and she declared her disability at application and they are supportive of her which enables her to work.  She strives to work as it greatly helps her mental health.  

I hope your MP input and DWP reconsideration goes your way 
  • [Deleted User]
    @Username_removed Firstly I really want to hope your response is coming from a good place, and I understand how things written online can come across and be taken the wrong way, however I have to say you come across as extremely patronizing. I feel like you're the only one who made very wrong assumptions - can I ask what your background is? Do you work for Capita or Atos?

On the letter I received it clearly stated for me to not contact my GP or health professionals to gather evidence as they would reach out themselves hence forth as to why I didn't at my initial claim stage. I have that written in black and white.
    In regards to hospital admissions there would be licensed professionals making recorded observations about my state and behavior which would fall under the descriptors - definitely relevant as you have already mentioned.
    Another one of your assumptions - I have recently left school so again these letters would be very relevant, as I would be spending 8 hours a day and teachers could see my behavior. 

In regards to the appeal time it wasn't just a number I'd made up in my head. I asked the DWP themselves in regards to my specific area of the country (the most densely populated in Britain) and she said it would be an average of a year from when I first ask for an appeal.

Hopefully you meant your comment in good faith but I'm going to be honest it wasn't very nice the way you came across so maybe just do not comment on my personal discussions in future :) best wishes.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    nothing to add, but i wish you all the best on your appeal, sorry your going through this, they really do make it hard to get what you are entitled to
  • [Deleted User]
    @Grinchy Thank you. I do too. I'm honestly struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad your mum is there @jessica9876! I can imagine it is overwhelming at the moment, is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    @Chloe_Scope really now I just need help for preparing for tribunal to get the enhanced on mobility side
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @jessica9876, that's understandable. Is there any other forms of evidence that you could use to support your case? 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.