National Insurance record - ESA — Scope | Disability forum

National Insurance record - ESA

I have been in receipt of Carers Allowance for many years, and my understanding was that I would receive National Insurance Credits.

I became ill in March, and was no longer able to carry out my 'carers' duties.  I therefore, stopped my Carers Allowance claim, and applied or Contributions Based ESA.   But, I have received a rejection letter from DWP telling that I am not eligible due to an insufficient National Insurance record !!

Does anyone have any advice ?



  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,589

    Scope community team

    Hello and welcome to the community @Tigerblu!

    It's my understanding that you have to have been receiving Carer's allowance for the entire tax year before the present benefit year (2018-2019) and in addition to this, you need to have worked for 26 weeks in any tax year. Just receiving National Insurance Credits alone isn't enough to claim new style ESA. Normally your option would then be to claim income-related ESA, but that no longer exists and has been replaced with Universal Credit.

    Obviously I don't know your household circumstances, but it would be worth you looking into whether UC is an option for you.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.